Advertisement

Mandrake 10 guilty of murder?

Started by June 23, 2004 09:19 PM
3 comments, last by Arek the Absolute 20 years, 3 months ago
It seems one last problem has cropped up with Mandrake on my system... That is, with increasing frequency lately it seems to be killing my home network. Sometimes it will fail to initialize eth0 on startup even though absolutely nothing in software or in connections has been touched since it was working only a short while before. Sometimes when everything's already started up and working well enough, it will become suddenly incapable of connecting to anything. Right now there is exactly one other computer on the network, and after this happens, that computer is usually unable to connect as well. The only solution I've found that will get things operating again is to unplug the router and cable modem briefly, and hook them back in again. I can't say as a fact that this doesn't happen outside of Mandrake, but it certainly doesn't happen with anywhere near the same frequency, nor did it when I had Redhat 9 installed on it for a while. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening so much with Mandrake and with nothing else. Does anyone have any idea why Mandrake in particular is having problems with this, or what I can do to prevent it? If you need more information about my setup, I'd be happy to provide it. Is this some sort of collision? And if so, is it just a coincidence that it seems to happen to Mandrake so much more than anything else? Is there anything I can do to prevent this? -Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig
How old is your hardware (computer, modem/connection, network card, etc.)? I don't know too much about networks, but based on your claims, it doesn't sound like its Mandrake's fault. It's more likely a result of faulty hardware.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Advertisement
I had a simmilar problem with MDK9, it turns out that it had something to do with the DHCP server it was getting its info from. Interestingly, It worked better connected to a Win98 computer than a RedHat9 Box!
The solution I found was to set everyting manualy in netconfig, DNS, Hosts, IP address etc.
This ensured that eth0 was always brought up, but it does mean nearly NO flexibility on the network. (No point having DHCP in fact...)

Now running Gentoo, with no probs. :D

BTW, anyone know if you can download MDK10 Download edition without signing up to the Mandrake Club thingie?
---------Does it matter? Even if it does matter, does it matter that it matters?
you could a few weeks ago - just click the link saying you'll join it later....
Quote: Original post by SonOfNed
BTW, anyone know if you can download MDK10 Download edition without signing up to the Mandrake Club thingie?

Yeah, it just requires two clicks. Go here and click the downloads link at the top, it'll give you a list of FTP servers.

I'll have to look into the DHCP server thing... Thanks for the suggestion!

-Arek the Absolute
-Arek the Absolute"The full quartet is pirates, ninjas, zombies, and robots. Create a game which involves all four, and you risk being blinded by the sheer level of coolness involved." - Superpig

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement