🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to start?

Started by
26 comments, last by Gyzmo 23 years, 9 months ago
I want to start programming in Linux. I want to create non-graphical programs, I want to know where to start learning, I am not a complete linux-newbie but I don''t know much about it.My biggest achievement was compiling apache+openssl+php, it took me long enough... I don''t know anything about making (constructing) Makefiles or anything related to creating programs in Linux (except C/C++ syntax) and I''m looking for information on anything in Linux development including Makefiles, install-scripts and information on libraries (i.e. file-permission file io, user/password, networking, etc.) I prefer free(internet) information (I''m in a perpetual financial crisis) but if I must I will buy books, so I''m looking for sites/books for beginning Linux programmers (I already know C/C++) Gyzmo ======================= [signature][/signature]
Gyzmo=============================="Well is the world standard" - The Alchemist"Not in Canada!" - jonnyfish
Advertisement
Programming non-graphical programs for Linux is a lot like programming for DOS, but you've got more power If you've got Linux installed, there are lots of HOWTO's in some directory (/usr/doc/ or something, I don't remember). I think there's a C/C++ programming doc, you should check it out. If you don't have Linux installed (yet), check out Linuxdoc.org, you can find lots of HOWTO's there. You might want to check out linuxprogramming.com too

Man pages are also good places to go looking for info.

Edited by - Muzzafarath on August 31, 2000 3:15:23 AM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
I do have Linux installed, as my gateway, I have a small network of 5 computers (2 Windows98 Pc''s, 2 Windows98 Laptop''s and a Linux Server) I want to learn Linux programming mostly because I can never host any game (unless I get lucky and know which ports to forward) so for any network game I make I at least want to make a linux-server. So people like me (read people connected to Internet through a Linux gateway) can still host games.

Gyzmo
=======================
[signature][/signature]
Gyzmo=============================="Well is the world standard" - The Alchemist"Not in Canada!" - jonnyfish
Well, you wouldn''t want to run a game server under Windows anyway ;-)

If you are looking for general get-started docs/tutorials/howtos I''m afraid I can''t help you really much... I learned by trial-and-error, and by looking at other people''s source code (especially in the case of Makefiles).

For network programming, I suggest you get the one and only book, "Unix Network Programming" by Stevens. It''s simply great I''m currently wiriting a small strategy-game server in linux, with a MySQL db holding all data. I''ll try to answer any socket-related questions you might have
-------------------------------------------------------------LGPL 3D engine - http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/realityengine
Beginning Linux Programming, by Richard Stones and Neil Matthew (Wrox Press) is a great intro. It is very broad and covers a lot of ground (shell scripts, gcc, makefiles, perl and more). It will get you up and running in no time.
Funny, I did some research (reading reviews on amazon) and I bought it this morning....

Gyzmo
=======================
[signature][/signature]
On my new computer I have like 20 Megs free (3 of those are used already) and since I didn''t do a partition on my HD in the beginning before I started collecting all the crap I have now on my comp, I was wondering if there way to have both Windows and Linux( or Unix) on the same HD with no partitioning of the HD. Is that possible? Is it a good idea though?

Apology for posting my questions here but since you were talking about Linux...

-------------------------------
That's just my 200 bucks' worth!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
One solution is to defrag your HD and put all data in the beginning of the partition, then use some tool like Partition Magic the resize the partition and create a new one for linux.

Another is to use VMWare and run linux in a diskfile virtual partition. But personally, I think that sucks
-------------------------------------------------------------LGPL 3D engine - http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/realityengine
try ZipSlack (www.slackware.com), its a complete linux distribution that can run from an existing partition, including fat32.It works pretty good, but you''ll have to download xfree86 and nutscrape (netscape...feeling a little funny tonight), cause its not included in the package.

Have fun...
----------meh
Gladiator, it can be done. Many distros can be installed onto existing FAT32 partitions (Red Hat, Dragonlinux, someone mentioned ZipSlack), but it'll be slower than if you would dedicate two partitions for Linux. The dists (who install themselves on a FAT32 partition) usually put themselves as two (or one) file(s) in c:\ and you can simply delete those files to get rid of Linux. You'll have to boot with a boot floppy (or maybe loadlin works...?) to start Linux though.

quote:
Is it a good idea though?

No it isn't It's great if you want to simply try out Linux to see if it's any good, but if want to actually _use_ Linux you'd want to install it on its own partition.

Edited by - Muzzafarath on September 1, 2000 3:23:48 AM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement