🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Yamaha DS-XG soundcard problems

Started by
1 comment, last by Zeke 23 years, 10 months ago
I have recently installed Mandrake 7.1 on my sony laptop. I have a Yamaha DS-XG and finally got it to play sounds with the ALSA drivers. The problem is its all messed up. I go to system sounds to see if the drivers work and it plays the sounds (click on test) but it wont stop playing them. It just repeats the sound I am testing over and over. If i try to play an mp3 it freezes the app and I have to XKill it. I have posted this problem on another site (whole site devoted to linux) but they seem unable to help. Can anyone here help me? Thanks for your help. "People spend too much time thinking about the past, whatever else it is, its gone"-Mel Gibson, Man Without A Face
Just my thoughts take them as you will. "People spend too much time thinking about the past, whatever else it is, its gone"-Mel Gibson, Man Without A Face
Advertisement
Usually the ALSA drivers are of a higher quality, but you could try the OSS ones (if they exist...), and see if they work better. Both ALSA and OSS perform well (for the moment), but only ALSA is free. Another solution, of which I do not know if it is viable, is to try the card as a SB16 compatible one. (load your kernel modules manually, just to try) You won''t lose quality/features by this since Linux cannot do much more with soundcards than just basic audio playing/recording.

DaBit.
Most sound applications require ALSA to have OSS compliancy
still since some sound applications use OSS timmings
and other standards.

Make sure your ALSA drivers were compiled with OSS compliancy
turned on (turn on any other OSS compliancy features too
including OSS emulation support).

If all else fails ask on the ALSA mailing list.
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement