Advertisement

I got Linux From Scratch working!

Started by April 16, 2004 01:57 PM
11 comments, last by clum 20 years, 5 months ago
quote:
o_O ?!?!
i donno what you guys do wrong or i do right but i''m running the very same LFS on my system since two years now and never had problems with upgrading or other stuff. perhaps you should learn some discipline first before using LFS

Have you ever tried to install wxWidgets--formerly wxWindows--on a linux box manually before? Now that''s dependancy hell.
quote:
I plan to rebuild it when I get enough time, except around uclibc + busybox. I want it to fit on a 64MB flash card. That is the power of LFS.

That''s a cool idea. I think I''ll try that when I get my system back up and running again, except with a 128mb flash card :D
quote: Original post by bytecoder
quote:
o_O ?!?!
i donno what you guys do wrong or i do right but i''m running the very same LFS on my system since two years now and never had problems with upgrading or other stuff. perhaps you should learn some discipline first before using LFS

Have you ever tried to install wxWidgets--formerly wxWindows--on a linux box manually before? Now that''s dependancy hell.

concerning this i only say one thing: python dependency system sux.

yes i have installed this packet from hand and i had to install it from hand because the automatic crap did not work and caused broken deps and such things. compiling all from hand solved the problem and i could install it. one more situation where manual work superceded automation.

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

Advertisement
It''s a question of time vs. value. The time required to install/upgrade/uninstall on Gentoo (and even moreso on Debian) is less than on a pure LFS system. Gentoo can be as optimised as LFS, but has a much better package manager. emerge wxwindows; wait; done. No dependency hell, not scouring for needed packages, nothing.

When package management is out of the way, you can play with other things - Gnome betas, kernel betas, udev, Robert Love''s Project Utopia (udev + HAL + DBUS + g-v-m = linux revolution) - all sorts of useless stuff. Not saying it can''t be done under LFS - one would probably learn a lot more doing by hand - but it''s just not a good ROI for me. To each their own, however. I hear some people even use Slack .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement