Advertisement

I got Linux From Scratch working!

Started by April 16, 2004 01:57 PM
11 comments, last by clum 20 years, 5 months ago
After many trials and tribulations, I have a fully functioning LFS system. I still have some software to install, but no more then I would expect to have to install after installing a more typical linux distribution. I have all my configuration setup, including XF86Config with my scrolling mouse, my favorite window manager (Ion), Mozilla with my e-mail account set up, etc.). I gained from it: 1) A vast amount of knowledge about linux that I didn''t know before 2) Less than 10 second bootup (no exageration) 3) Faster in general, although not by too much, as I was using Slackware before which is pretty fast in its own right. I owe the speed to i) the 2.6.4 kernel which I installed ii) optimized compilation iii) I also think that I might get a bit of speed from only having the software and stuff that I use I lossed from it: 1) A huge amount of time. Overall, I think that the loss outweighs the gains (especially since, knowing myself, I''ll reinstall linux in a few months anyway to keep up to date with the software), but I''ll definitely enjoy the gains. Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone) Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
When you reinstall you should take a look at Gentoo ...
Advertisement
Why can''t you just do iterative upgrades? Just dedicate a day every other week to find out what packages have been updated and to install the newer version. So it''ll be hell on days when you want to upgrade the kernel or GCC, but it''ll still be pretty sweet.
Why, why, why?
Dude, take a look at gentoo, I bet with a stage1 installation you could slim your linux down like your LFS, and upgrading is as easy as emerge -uv world.

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
quote: Original post by DarkHamster
Why, why, why?
Fun, fun, fun.

If someone wants to go through an LFS installation for the fun of it or to gain knowledge, let him. If he''s doing it as a precursor to creating his own distribution, cheer him. If he''s doing it to prepare a production system (say, for a client or something), then suggest to him a prepackaged distribution.

@clum:
Nice job, buddy. I hope you can leverage that knowledge for more than just tinkering at home - a job or something like that.
AHHHHH!!!
all those GenToo heads in here ^_^

it''s more than ok if this guy does LFS... i''ve done nothing but LFS since years and am the most happy man.

i just don''t like it if some ''automated'' thingy in the background messes around with my system. i do all handwork ''cause this still pWn3z. anyways. great job man. another wonderfull LFS system up and running :thumbsup:

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

Advertisement
I actually ran an LFS based system for about 6 months or so. It was a very educational experience, seeing as my distros before that had been RedHat 7.2 and Mandrake 9. However, I know use gentoo for the simple reason that although LFS was very educational, installing new packages eventually became difficult because without a good package management system I became more and more embroiled in a sort of dependancy hell. Nothing too bad, but it was awkward.

So my advice is to run this system for 3 months, get a feel for how the lower levels of linux work (as you no doubt will when fixing problems ) then move onto another distro.
I''d like to install a LFS system when I have time, just for the learning experience - I think I''d rather use gentoo (as I am now, or maybe Source Mage which I have a minimal install of because my stupid USB modem refuses to work) though because it''s easier to update

I''m not sure if I could go back to another distro after building the whole thing from scratch though, I think I''d be too in love with it and have to update it 3 times a day until I starved to death
I built an LFS system parallel to my Gentoo one...and promptly trashed it once I had it working. For toying around, it''s great; for doing actual work, a package manager is required, and it doesn''t get much better than portage. LFS isn''t very useful as a day-to-day system.

I plan to rebuild it when I get enough time, except around uclibc + busybox. I want it to fit on a 64MB flash card. That is the power of LFS.
o_O ?!?!
i donno what you guys do wrong or i do right but i''m running the very same LFS on my system since two years now and never had problems with upgrading or other stuff. perhaps you should learn some discipline first before using LFS

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement