Advertisement

two questions

Started by April 08, 2004 12:05 AM
5 comments, last by Mulligan 20 years, 5 months ago
Q1 - Are there any winamp type media players on linux? im using mandrake if that has any relavance Q2 - Is there some way to transfer the mp3''s on my windows partition over to the linux partition? thanks.
quote: Original post by Mulligan
Q1 - Are there any winamp type media players on linux? im using mandrake if that has any relavance

Yes. XMMS is the most popular.

quote: Q2 - Is there some way to transfer the mp3''s on my windows partition over to the linux partition?

Yes. You can mount your windows partition as a drive, and then copy the files. Or you could just access them from your windows partition. There should be some sort of Mandrake configuration thingy to allow you to do this.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
Advertisement
1: XMMS
2: What FS is your Win partition? Linux may be able to mount it and read straight off it.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
I personaly use a fat32 partition as a transfer space between win2k/fbsd .. Both OSes read/write the partition just fine and I just play my mp3s right off it.

So, if you have the ability I suggest a fat32 partition...

Failing that...

burn a cdrom
mail yourself (from win -> mandrake)
use a 2nd computer
if u want to mount your fat32 partition, login as root and run any terminal/console (like Gnome Terminal/Konsole or simple text-mode console) and type following:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win -o quiet

where:
/dev/hda1 - is your windows partition
hda# - partition number # on primary master
hdb# - ... on primary slave
hdc# - ... on secondary master
hdd# - ... on secondary slave
(IDE i mean)
if u can''t guess windows partition run
cfdisk /dev/hda
look for Fat32 and quit (''q'' key)

/mnt/win - mount point (files/dirs from your windows partition appears there). May be you first need to create this folder before mounting:

mkdir /mnt/win

(i like /c instead of /mnt/win).
to unmount type: umount /mnt/win
read manaul about mount (type: man mount)
in /etc/fstab listed partition which is mounted on boot. You can add one more line there, something like:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win vfat users,quiet,uid=0 0 0

also read: man fstab
(if u don''t know: XMMS skins format is compatible with WinAmp 2.X skins)

sorry my bad english
quote: Original post by admix
if u want to mount your fat32 partition, login as root and run any terminal/console (like Gnome Terminal/Konsole or simple text-mode console) and type following

Better yet: login as a normal user, open a terminal, and type "su" to login as root in just that terminal (it''ll prompt for a password; you can logout of that root login by closing the terminal, typing "exit", or hitting ^D). There are GUI su invokers too (gksu and gnome-su are two). The less that runs as root the better .

Advertisement
quote: Original post by Null and Void
...The less that runs as root the better .

As the old saying goes, "He who plays with root soon kills tree."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement