Advertisement

Input and Linux...

Started by March 24, 2004 12:40 AM
3 comments, last by Raid 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi all you leet programmers , I''m using Kylix for Linux right now, and I was using Delphi for Windoze, but Linux kicks Windoze butt!! (btw, yes, I know I should be using C, but I''m not a real big fan of case sensitive languages, I prefer my own way of printing out a function name lol), anyway, I''ve been writing a game engine for windows, and now porting it over to linux (which has been pretty easy since I was using opengl, and some basic timing functions, which were easy to port using Libc), and it''s pretty powerful so far for a 2D game engine, anyhoo, down to the question: I have been using DirectInput for Windows, and was wondering if there was a way to directly access input (keyboard, mouse, +more?) in Linux. Right now I''m relying on X events, which isn''t so bad, so if there''s not a good enough way then I''ll just stick with the events. And please, no SDL suggestions, I am working directly with X and such, and I like to work directly with the os.. thanks!
as far as i know this should be ok with xevents, i choose them too. and sdl you don''t want so stick with it.

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

Advertisement
Yeah, XLib is the way to go. Incidentally, SDL input handling for Linux is just a thin wrapper over Xlib (I know, I know, you didn''t want to hear it.) So is the input handling for GLFW.

Golem
Blender--The Gimp--Python--Lua--SDL
Nethack--Crawl--ADOM--Angband--Dungeondweller
Haha, thanks VertexNormal, yeah I kinda figured as much, thanks again for your help.
quote: Original post by VertexNormal
Yeah, XLib is the way to go. Incidentally, SDL input handling for Linux is just a thin wrapper over Xlib (I know, I know, you didn''t want to hear it.) So is the input handling for GLFW.

i donno if you thought i like sdl... i do not... but i don care cause i use a modularity graphic system for my projects anyways... i hate choosing a fixed way of dealing with matters... especially in the todays vast pc market.

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement