Advertisement

Would you ditch X if...

Started by March 14, 2004 08:49 PM
14 comments, last by Benjamin Heath 20 years, 5 months ago
Would you ditch X if your computer only had a 233 Mhz Pentium with a slow 2GB hard drive? Because that''s what I''ve got, and though I want to upgrade, I can''t right this moment. Still, I program on this computer a lot, and a windowing system comes in handy at times. Would you ditch X if you were in my shoes? ================== Benjamin Heath ==================
Umm...What is A?

Actually, no, I wouldn''t, but that''s just me. You can deal with the performance if the tradeoff is worth it (convenience for speed).

"TV IS bad Meatwad...but we f***in need it"
Things change.
Advertisement
exactly what would you ditch it for? console?

X works well enough. I''ve used it on my 486 66mhz
if you opened a fund, someone would give you a better comp.

typedef unsigned long long int me;
typedef signed short char you;
quote: Original post by C-Junkie
exactly what would you ditch it for ? console?

X works well enough. I''ve used it on my 486 66mhz

Yup. Console. SDL can be compiled with SVGALib, and all tools I use on that computer are command-line anyway, so...

==================
Benjamin Heath
==================
So then ditch it if you want. Why are you asking us, exactly?

http://chaos.webhop.org
Advertisement
NO! I would use X, but I would use the ION WM. I have it installed right now on Gentoo... but the computer is modern enough to run what I run right now: fluxbox (also a good alternative for you)

My friend has an ancient laptop (233 MHz) and by the looks of it, X and ION run pretty good without taking too mutch resources.

[edited by - aftermath on March 14, 2004 11:17:05 PM]
Rate me up.
I have kde running on 266mhz PII. It''s really not so bad and there is no slowdown when using something like XFCE.
-Yo, I couldn''t think of anything else for my sig.TobiasA+, Linux+
Personally, I''d use X with Fluxbox or Fvwm. They''re both fairly lightweight window managers, and both nice in their own way. Fvwm is a lot more configurable, but with the disadvantage that the default setup is practically unusable. Once you''ve spent a day configuring it, though, you can make it look like whatever you want it to.
How heavy is Enlightenment? I''m about to Linux up a P1 and I''ve heard good things about it, but never actually tried it...
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement