Advertisement

what's an RPM?

Started by March 07, 2004 10:59 AM
4 comments, last by Cipher3D 20 years, 6 months ago
sorry...i''m kind of new to linux...and i was trying to download a driver for linux and i came across something called a ''kernel-source RPM'' what is it? does it come with linux, or do i have tod ownload it seperately.
I eat heart attacks
RPM == Redhat Package Management (http://www.rpm.org)
kernel-source == kernel source code -> use to recompile the kernel
:-)
Advertisement
In simple terms, it''s sort of the Linux equivelant to a Windows "setup" type program...

In linux you can either download the source and compile it, OR you can in many canses download the binary RPMs, and use rpm -i on the command line to install the package for you.

Most window managers (Gnome, KDE, etc) have a right-click context menu option to install RPMs as well.

Of course, this all depends on which distro your using. Some have no package support at all, and RPMs are easier to find for some (RedHat and Mandrake for example) than for others.

Have fun...
speaking of the kernel code, to edit it, do you edit them source code IN linux itself, and then recompile...and then restart to view changes?
I eat heart attacks
Of course, the kernel loads itself into ram while booting so you can write over the binary file and reboot to see the changes. I know it sounds weird, but it''s not as weird as compiling gcc
It is the opposite of Portage
Rate me up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement