🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

a little help with game programming

Started by
26 comments, last by Arkon 23 years, 10 months ago
well, i know dx...

anyways i didn''t find this linux kernel hackers guide...anyone??

hmm ok i''ll search for those libs thx for helping

but still no one knows the real meat of code huh??
Advertisement
ohh great
is there an allegro in zip format out there???
Linux Kernel Hacker''s Guide (the page related to accessing screen memory)
Allegro (latest wip version, which is what you need for multi-platform support)
SDL
thanks man!!
thanks man!!
Don''t, please, please don''t use SVGAlib. Let it die.

However, if you really want to write a graphical console game, check out fbcon. I''ve never used it myself (i always use SDL, which is professional-- in use in Civilization: CTP, SimCity 3k, and just about anything else proted by Loki), but from what i know, it sounds like you want fbcon.

Please don''t go the direct access route where the user has to run as root for anything more than just personal muckery. Any real Linux product should NOT have to be suid root to run unless it''s something vital, such as X.

I really suggest you check out SDL, but as long as you want console graphics, look into fbcon. Allegro might get the job done, but i have even less knowledge of it.

PS: For the DX inclined, SDL actually can use DX when compiling for the Win32 platform-- it uses native acceleration, depending on the platform target.

Crackpot Productions--
Senior Cracked Pot--
Benc
Crackpot Productions--Senior Cracked Pot--Benc
hi gever ma amatzav?
if you look into the svgalib installation doc you will see it''s current mainter is matan ziv-av from beer-sheva ben-gurion university. there is also his e-mail. you can ask him.
0 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Everyone is touting SDL, and i think it can''t be said enough.

however, you may also wish to check out GGI, which provides graphical access.
wallla achi akol tov ma itcha gever?
mi ze matan zivav aze''???

i just want to switch to mode 13 h and learn how to plot a poor pixel...so you ppl tell me about cgi and stuff???

hmmm where could i find this svgalib??

thanks
He said GGI not CGI. I have not tried GGI out myself, but people
who have tried it say that it''s like SVGAlib but a lot better.
btw. I don''t think you can get into mode13h since Linux doesn''t let the individual users play around with the memory any way they want to.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement