🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

a little help with game programming

Started by
26 comments, last by Arkon 23 years, 10 months ago
hello how do i switch to mode 13h and plot pixels? i wanna start doing small games...then move to virtual screens oh i feel the old DOS days thanks
Advertisement
I''d recommend writing the game for X Windows.

It''s not as complicated as Win32 (if you use a library such as SDL), and once you have the basic framework done, it''s very similar to DOS coding.

http://www.thisisnurgle.org.uk

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

But if you really want to know how to do it... I believe you can find the answer in the Linux Kernel Hacker''s Guide, which is linked to from most of the Linux programming sites I''ve seen. I was going to check it out once, but never did. I do know that you need to be in root mode to do it.
How you actually do it:

I can't remember the correct registers at the moment, but if you want me to give you them then I can dig up that old DOS book of mine .

Anyway, Function 0x00, Interrupt 0x10, Video Mode 0x13.

asm mov {function register} 0x00asm mov {video mode register} 0x13asm int 0x10  

Then, your Video memory starts at 0xA000 (or, 0xA0000000L on my machine ).

If you wanted me to dig up VBE (Vesa Bios Extension) I could give you some more fun SVGA stuff .

Is that what you wanted?

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet

Edited by - dwarfsoft on August 1, 2000 8:21:10 AM
hey dwarf
i know VGA pretty damn well in dos...

but i wanna start programming in Linux

seems no one knows game programming in Linux...

and i don''t want X windows for now...

the basis is very inmportant for me in linux and dos or whatever
cuz the basis has all low level stuff..
isn''t there a port of the DJGPP compiler for Linux? that would be a start, a free compiler.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Julio-
DGJPP is the DOS port of the gcc compiler which comes with Linux/Unix, not the other way around.

Arkon -

If you want to get into VGA mode in Linux to make games, search around for the following libs -

SDL
Allegro
ClanLib
SVGALib (I think...)

There''s a couple more I can''t think of.

If you want to do it just to know how, check out the source for the above libs. Actually, I believe ClanLib and Allegro handle it via SVGALib. Either that or do some intensive searching on the net. Apparently no one here has done it before
Using DJGPP and Alegro is a BIG one right now, because they''ve ported Alegro to linux and DOS and more importantly a newly Windows. (Just recently) So you can write a game and compile it with very little changes for three platform/OS''s.

I''d suggest you look into those two, for now, I''ve heard of ClanLib but neither of the other ones, so I wouldn''t know how or on what they work...
See ya,
Ben
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
Hi..

What about using a DirectDraw?!

Denis "Mr.Snow" Kozhukhov
CEO & Lead programmer
Choco Snow Creation
=============================Denis "Mr.Snow" KozhukhovCEO & Lead programmerChoco Snow CreationdkcscPortal=============================
quote:
What about using a DirectDraw?!

he said he was using linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement