Advertisement

Debian...why 7 cd's?

Started by February 20, 2004 10:29 PM
10 comments, last by g_hempstock 20 years, 6 months ago
never used debian, but it sounds like the "pro" editions of most other distros. normally the first cd is the linux core, xfree86, the desktop environments (gnome, kde, window maker), and normally apps like openoffice and other essentials. The second cd is usually the main bulk of utilities and programs most oftenly used (mozilla, konquerer, games like freeciv, development IDE''s, etc) basicly the other cd''s are all the utilities you could ever want/need for more specific tasks.

if you are newer to linux and want the absolute easiest install for any distro that you actually install (not one that runs on a cd), try SUSE, you can buy the version 8.1 personal edition from their site for 19 bucks and not have to bother downloading it. i wouldnt recommend bothering with anything other than personal edition, if you need more programs you can just download them, or most allow you to order seperately on cd, and personal has a ton of stuff. (3 cd''s in personal i believe)

just to clarify, install stable (you have to) they upgrade it to testing, and THEN install all the packages an stuff you want.

Wrong, I installed from testing! I installed the distro with the new installer and at the time, it was only in testing.
[Cyberdrek | ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement