Advertisement

Debian...why 7 cd's?

Started by February 20, 2004 10:29 PM
10 comments, last by g_hempstock 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I recently downloaded the debian cd images. However, I am baffled...there are 7 cd''s!! Why are there so many? My thoughts on the subject are software packages that may come with it...but if not that then what? Thanks
_______________________________________________________________________________________''I can imagine a world without hate, a world without fear, a world without war. And I can imagine us attacking that world, because they would never expect it.'' -Jack Handy
There''s just a hell of a lot of Linux out there, and Debian has one of the largest centralized package repositories of any distro. Realistically, tho, you''ll only need the first couple. After that, just apt-get anything else you need from the ''net.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
Advertisement
While it''s a bit too late now, I advise just doing a net install for non-stable Debian repositories installations. Stable is, well, stable and there might be merit in downloading CDs for it, but the other repositories change so quickly I wouldn''t bother. I still use a Debian 2.2 CD for net installs; I suppose I should download a new one someday . If you don''t like full net installs or you''re going to setup a Debian stable machine, Sneftel''s advice to download the "first couple" and "just apt-get anything else" is probably the best plan for installing Debian.

I''ve done debian installs with only one, apt-getting the rest.
~V'lionBugle4d
I installed debian with a floppy disk....
Yeah, you can download everything you need.

Oh, and don''t use Debian Stable. It''s like 3 years old.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
just to clarify, install stable (you have to) they upgrade it to testing, and THEN install all the packages an stuff you want.
For most Debian installs you will probably only need the first 3-4 CDs. The Debian CDs contain a snapshot of the apt-get repository, so you can install software from the CD and not from the network.

Interim
more to the point:

Stable is going to be basically rock-solid, but don''t use it save for a router/firewall machine, and then you will be security-updating it lots.

I''m accumulating information about net-based installs for testing.

I''m going to do that soon- week or two.
~V'lionBugle4d
Yeah, I made the mistake of downloading all 7 when I first tried Debian, but when I went to install I ended up doing a net install and didn't even touch the other six disks. Now, I can't bring myself to chuck 'em, but I could sure use the jewel cases they're taking up.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, as to the original question--just take a look at what's on them. Linux (and Debian, especially) includes the kitchen sink, plus a whole lot of other stuff you never even thought of, too.

Golem
Blender--The Gimp--Python--Lua--SDL
Nethack--Crawl--ADOM--Angband--Dungeondweller

[edited by - VertexNormal on February 27, 2004 3:05:27 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement