Advertisement

More linux problems

Started by January 28, 2004 06:46 PM
8 comments, last by bcome 20 years, 7 months ago
Ok, I have 2 problems: The first is I cannot change the display resoultion. It stays stuck at 800x600 (way to small for my tastes). The second is I have a NVida GeForce 2 MX, and I can''t enable Hardware 3D Acceleration, how do I fix this problem? Thanks for any help provided, u r what u bcome
<!-- ................................ -->u r what u bcomeMy (XHTML 1.0 Strict) Website
For your resolution problem, what you need to do is edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file (or XF86Config-4, whichever) and change the display modes at the bottom to contain your new resolution and depth. As for your nVidia problem, I have no idea; sorry. 8u)

-Brendan Bond
Brendan Bond
Advertisement
Depending on which distro you are using, there may be a little wizard to help you adjust the resolution, if you don't feel comfortable editing the XF86Config file yourself. If you do edit it, remember to save a copy that you can revert to.

For hardware acceleration, your should use NVidia's linux graphics driver. It's really easy to install, it has pretty good instructions, and works great (for me at least). You will have to do a little manual editing of the XF86Config file to get the drivers to work. It's not that bad, but you should still backup the original before tinkering with it.

[edited by - Mr Grinch on January 28, 2004 8:07:14 PM]
Have you downloaded the NVidia drivers from NVidia''s site?
BTW if you have never changed the /etc/X11/XF86Config(-4) file you should use a graphical tool, most likely available with your distribution.

Gretz,
Tried those (see my other Linux Post), Oh, well. I''ll figure somthing out in the morning.

u r what u bcome
<!-- ................................ -->u r what u bcomeMy (XHTML 1.0 Strict) Website
What's your distribution? A lot of the major ones usually ship tons of drivers and one standard kernel. Slackware, though, have a collection of specialized kernels and a few generic drivers...
I settled for a Generic TDFX driver, since it gives me proper resolutions (and that I'm so lazy that I won't bake a customized one), but it lacks heavily when running OpenGL-based graphic systems. :-\

[edited by - Tokikenshi on January 29, 2004 5:56:37 AM]
toki!
Advertisement
Red Hat 9.0 (a.k.a. "Shrike")

It says that the video card is someting like a "NVidia GeForce 2 MX (generic)", my monitor is a different story... it isn''t in the list, but the information is probable.

Thanks,

u r what u bcome
Ok, I'm in redhat 9 right now. I run kde, so if you're in gnome this may not be exact. Anyway, I can click on the kde start button ripoff, go to "System Settings" and then choose "Display". This will start a nice graphical X display config program. If the kde start menu doesn't work, you can also just type "redhat-config-xfree86" from the terminal and it will start it for you.

I don't remember an easy way to change the graphical/text login mode, but I think I've done it before. I try to choose text logins when I install. I'll try to get back to you.

[edit]I can't find an easier way than what is listed in the replies to your other post about the text login. Has that worked for you? I thought of something else, too. Even with the NVidia drivers working, that X config program won't let you change the hardware acceleration. Let us know what you have tried and if you've had any success.[/edit]

[edited by - Mr Grinch on January 30, 2004 1:56:20 AM]
quote: Original post by bcome
Red Hat 9.0 (a.k.a. "Shrike") with geForce2MX

hey I have the same problem with Mandrake9.0 and the same card.
tried to update drivers from nVidia''s but it had no effect maybe it is really a problem with monitor and something like "frequency out of range"

When I was younger, I used to solve problems with my AK-47. Times have changed. I must use something much more effective, killing, percise, pernicious, efficient, lethal and operative. C++ is my choice.
nope it''s not frequency out of range, i can change it to a larger resoultion (i.e. 1024x768 is in the dropdown & I have it shown after it looses focus), but after I click ok, and restart XWindows (i don''t think its KDE or gnome(sp?)), it still is 800x600.

u r what u bcome

Oh, and for you blind people, the tiny text on the picture says: "I don''t have a life!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement