Advertisement

Gentoo, a good possibility?

Started by November 23, 2003 04:10 AM
38 comments, last by HTML 20 years, 10 months ago
Anjuta and KDevelop are the two big IDEs under Linux. And yes, a lot of people use vim or Emacs instead of a true IDE. The nice thing about vim (since I don''t like Emacs ) is that it has a lot of commands you can use to make it almost IDE-like. I definately reccomned using it, but use the gvim version (the one that you can use in X).

Make sure you check out the vim tutor to learn how to use it.
gvim and vim are the exact same thing except one is driven in a terminal, the other in a window with a toolbar i never use.

i don''t see much point in using gvim if you already have vim setup
Advertisement
quote: Original post by HexSkillz
why are you trying to get it on a 64mb flash card?
Beause HDDs are too noisy. With Via''s Eden boards, there''s no CPU fan. With a smaller power supply (laptop style), there''s no PSU fan. With the fans gone, CD and hard disk drives are surprisingly loud.

So, move the OS and software (Freebox) on to a flash card with a CF->IDE adapter. I picked 64 since the cards are relatively cheap. I don''t think 32 would be out of the question if I could get rid of XFree. DirectFB isn''t quite up to par yet though.
heh it would be funny to see a computer with only a flash card, motherboard and cdrom

beings me back to the 286 days lol
gvim and vim are the exact same thing except one is driven in a terminal, the other in a window with a toolbar i never use.

i don''t see much point in using gvim if you already have vim setup

Because gvim lets you use a mouse. True, it''s theoretically possible to get a mouse working with vim, too, but I never was able to get it to work.
heh it would be funny to see a computer with only a flash card, motherboard and cdrom

beings me back to the 286 days lol
Check out Mini-ITX.com to see what some people have done with VIA''s Mini-ITX boards. Really quite amazing what a little imagination can get you. Try that with a full-size ATX board.

I''m waiting for the 120mm2 Nano-ITX boards. I have an old VCR case that could get some life out of it.
Advertisement
gvim''s mouse support is just as good as vim''s support

startup vim and type
:set mouse=a

voila
How does Gentoo differ from Slackware?

The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
quote: Original post by clum
How does Gentoo differ from Slackware?
www.gentoo.org

From what I know about Slack, it''s a binary distro without a good package manager. Everything comes pre-compiled, and installing things can be a pain (./configure; make; su; make install). Unless it''s gotten a package manager since I last looked, that is its weakness.

Gentoo, on the other hand, has Portage - a source-based package manager. The base install of Gentoo (you can choose stage 1, 2, or 3) includes only the bootstrap stuff - gcc, binutils, glibc, etc. - and the kernel. Everything else is emerged.

ie, to install Gnome, just type emerge gnome at a console, and go for a movie or two - it''ll be awhile, since compiling gnome takes a very long time. However, all the dependencies are taken care of.

The downside is that you have to compile everything (or get a precompiled CD), which can take a very long time. The upside is that you can control the compiler switches for everything - whether this is worth the compile times is up to you. Portager also takes care of dependencies automatically, and the ebuilds are very easy to write. Debian hass basically the same thing (called apt), but with binary packages.

I don''t think it''s better or worse than Slack or Debian (having never used either, I can''t comment), just different.
What some people forget is that Debian also has the option to install from source.

apt-get source packagename --compile

This will download and compile the package into a .deb file on your system. You can then install it with dpkg.

Naturally, you can setup a script to do it automatically, or whatever. I haven''t actually done this myself, but I believe you can set apt to get and compile the source when you say

apt-get install something

From the apt-get manual, source files are maintained separately from the binary files. You might get the latest source file which is different from the latest binary file.

So while Strife mentioned that Debian and Gentoo have different default behaviors, I just wanted to clarify. I assume, since I never used Gentoo, that you can set it to download binaries by default as well.

kate is a nice and simple editor. It isn''t as full-featured as kdevelop or anjuta, but it is good enough for most of my needs. I use it for web development usually. I used kdevelop and found it like VC++ 6, and I haven''t messed around with anjuta much but from what I have seen, I might like it more than kdevelop.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement