Advertisement

How do you install GNOME 2.4?

Started by September 23, 2003 09:41 PM
23 comments, last by HTML 20 years, 11 months ago
i went ahead and dled all the gnome 2.4 files on the ftp from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.3/2.3.7/sources/ I dled both tar.gz and tar.bz2, can i delete one of the 2 , are they both the same? I am not sure what to do now...
.tar.bz2 and .tar.gz are compressed with different algorithms. The only practical difference is that .bz2 takes up less space and takes longer to decompress (not by much), and that you have to use j instead of z when you untar it.

Basically, the process now is to uncompress them (usually in /usr/src) and run configure in the directory untarring them creates. If configure fails, it''s probably because you''re missing a dependency. If it succeeds, run make and make install.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
Advertisement
You might want to get the tarballs from the actual 2.4 branch (you seem to be getting them from 2.3). Make sure you check out what prefix you should use for configure, a lot of the time you have to specify --prefix=/usr in most common systems.
do i have to dl them all individually?, so i just have to uncompress them in my usr/src/ file( have to be logged as a root right?)
No, you can untar it anywhere. In fact, you should untar it in it''s own directory somewhere. I personally usually log in a user (not root) and untar it inside my home directory. Then I run configure and make as that user. Then if it succeeds I log in as root (su -) and run make install.

It''s considered safest to run configure and make as a non-root user.

make install will install the files into whatever prefix you gave to configure (default usually /usr or /usr/local). Type configure --help for more options.
I understand some of what you said, but not most of it because I am a complete newb at linux. Do i do this in command line ? How do i untar from the internet to my destination and where do i put the gnome 2.4 files? Is there a step-by-step guide by any chance because I have no idea what I am really doing

thanks
Advertisement
Unless you know what you''re doing, I wouldn''t advise building Gnome (or anything of similar scale) entirely by hand. If you use something like GARNOME (read that page for all the information you should need), the process will be much easier. GARNOME defaults to a user-local prefix (~/garnome), so it will not overwrite any system-wide files by default.

If you don''t automate the build process somehow, you will need to download released of the projects listed here and build and install them in that order. Most of them probably use the relatively-standard "./configure; make; make install" process. Remember to give them all a sane and consistent prefix, if you care about it.

k, i downloaded GARNOME, and did what the what it said but it didnt work....directory then make install, then i tried a few other things. how do i install this if it is in my home folder?
quote: Original post by HTML
k, i downloaded GARNOME, and did what the what it said but it didnt work....directory then make install, then i tried a few other things.

What do you mean "didn''t work"?

quote: Original post by HTML
how do i install this if it is in my home folder?

It installs to your home directory by default, there are instructions on how to use it from your home directory in the section "How do I use GARNOME?". If you want it to install somewhere else, modify its prefix (see "How do I configure GARNOME?").

it kept saying bash- and invalid dir and valid dir and then never extracted or installed. i used their cd meta/gnome-desktop/
make install and also tried my directory of where gnome is instead of gnome-desktop. how do you install it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement