Advertisement

Upgrading a distribution

Started by September 21, 2003 06:30 AM
5 comments, last by Kotumo 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I''ve been running RedHat since 4.2 and I think it''s a great Linux dist, but I have this one peeve about it. Every time I want to upgrade to a new version of RedHat I have to download the isos and burn a couple of CDs (or use ftp). I wish it could be possible to upgrade the whole dist using up2date, but every dist has its own branch of rpms, so no matter how many times you run up2date, you''ll never get from RH8.0 to RH9. A friend of mine said that Debians apt-get always let you have the latest version of the distribution. Is this true? Can I upgrade the distribution as well as the programs in Debian? Thanks. Kotumo
I know you can do that with my distribution (Source Mage), which is one of the reasons why I chose it.
---New infokeeps brain running;must gas up!
Advertisement
Gentoo does the same.

emerge sync

emerge -u world

updates pretty much everything

If you use apt-rmp for redhat can''t you just change the apt-sources to new distro and upgrade all?
To actually answer the OP''s question, unlike some people

Yes. You can with debian. In fact, my debian install actually references the stable branch, rather than any specific sub-branch. So, when sarge becomes stable, apt-get is going to tell me I''ve got 134 packages to upgrade...
quote: Original post by C-Junkie
To actually answer the OP''s question, unlike some people

Yes. You can with debian. In fact, my debian install actually references the stable branch, rather than any specific sub-branch. So, when sarge becomes stable, apt-get is going to tell me I''ve got 134 packages to upgrade...

I had Debian once and apt was great.. but it is for RPM packages too!! I use apt-get currently in RedHat 9 and it works well so far...

http://apt.freshrpms.net/
Advertisement
Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I updated to RH9 using CDs. Big mistake. Afterwards, MySQL gave me a Segmentation fault and iptables hung the computer. I''ll give apt-rpm a try before I jump ship and join Deb and Ian

Kotumo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement