Advertisement

Suse Current

Started by September 10, 2003 03:13 AM
10 comments, last by OctDev 21 years ago
I have been more of a *BSD kiddie than a linux one, but am thinking about switching my primary desktop to Suse. In BSD land, current is cutting edge (duh) but also more problematic...so, what about Suse? Should I go 8.2 or current (objectively staying as up to date as possible w/o the headaches!). I''m curious how stable current is in that distro, if anyone has any exp. Thanx.
The Tyr project is here.
Usually current means latest stable version on the suse ftp.
Advertisement
I''ve had zero issues with the current version of SuSE. I installed it on a system with an i865 and d-link nic. Works great. Have to say it''s wonderfully easy to use.
Unless things have changed with SuSE in recent months, you cannot actually download the current release. In other words, it must be bought. Therefore, SuSE current is not bleeding edge, but rather the most up to date and stable software.

The Artist Formerly Known as CmndrM

http://chaos.webhop.org
I would take 8.1 because this version runs the intel compiler and vtune out of the box.
You can download the current version of SuSe.

At least we did here at the office three days ago.

Installed fine.

Cheers,

Vizual
cheers,vizuäl
Advertisement
Since when?

And did you do it directly from SuSE, or was it a third party site?

The reason I ask is because I''ve always liked SuSE (I think it''s by far the best newbie-friendly distro... I also like it a lot, which is saying something since I''m one of those people who likes distros like Gentoo...).

The Artist Formerly Known as CmndrM

http://chaos.webhop.org
I downloaded 8.2 straight from SuSE''s ftp site over the weekend. It installed beautifully, detected all of my devices, etc. OctDev you should definately go for it.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
If I remember correctly, ISO files are what aren''t available for download, but you can do an FTP-install (install from an ftp server, that is).
One time when I installed SuSE, the FTP server went down in the middle of the install (and that''s a pain even with my cable modem) so the next time I just installed the basic kernel and KDE which was just a few hundred meg and I installed the rest of my software of choice from YaST once I got that working (the advantage being that it keeps already installed packages).
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement