Advertisement

Linux Gaming

Started by September 07, 2003 11:25 PM
15 comments, last by HTML 21 years ago
I am trying to convert my whole hd into linux eventually, no windows at all because i like linux a looottt more now that ive tried it. THe only thing is, is when I take breaks from programming or i feel like playing a game, i want to be able to play games like neverwinter nights, warcraft 3 , jedi outcast, mohaa, and need for speed hp 2. I was hoping maybe there was a way to get most games to work on linux. I had heard of WINEX but do i need a windows partition too? wineX looks like a good solution but im not sure how it works. oh and one more thing, what is the closet program in linux to MS Visual C++ studio? KDevelop? I am trying to learn how to program too so i want to find something like that.
Well, about the first question: yes, you need a windows partition if you are using winex. There are some games port to Linux, but u must find them, maybe if your are lucky enough there''s maybe even a Linux version of the game.
If you want to do some programming, you should try gcc (g++).
And for the IDE... Anjuta or Emacs (xemacs).

If you like gamming a lot, maybe you should keep the Windows partition for a while though.

Bye, and good luck.
Advertisement
I''m pretty sure WineX doesn''t need a Windows partition to work. But I think that if you already own windows it''s probably a good idea to have its own partition specifically for gaming. That''s what I have: I do all my important stuff in Linux, and any games that don''t have a Linux version I run in Windows.

WineX is like an emulator (technically it isn''t, which is why it''s much faster than a true emulator) that is specifically designed to handle certain games. http://www.transgaming.com/ is where WineX lives.

Image loads when I''m online!The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
You wouldn''t be having this problem if you would stop *trying* to rebel

James Simmons
MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net
If you're really into pc gaming, keep a Windows partition. There's linux games to be sure, but not even close to what you can find on Windows (not even close to what you can find for MacOS for that matter).

You don't need a windows partition for WineX, but it makes it a lot easier. Unfortunately WineX is pretty raw stuff, it can be very difficult to get a game working on it. Be prepared to tinker a lot.

Loki Games did a decent number of ports of Windows games to Linux (this porting of games from Windows is also the reason SDL was created). But they went out of business You can get Quake 3, Tribes, etc. But nothing recent since they went out of business a while ago (check here for what they did, actually that's not everything, I know they did Quake3 Arena since i own it). If you want Loki games, just poke around. You may still be able to find them for really cheap, I know Amazon was selling them all for ~$8.

There's of course open source/free games like NetHack, Wyvern, Tux Racing, etc.

But in the end, keep Windows around if you want to play games, that's the unfortunate truth.

[edited by - tortoise on September 7, 2003 12:46:11 AM]
quote: Original post by tortoise
But nothing recent since they went out of business a while ago

Enemy Territory is recent! Well, the engine isn''t, but you get the idea...
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Advertisement
You can play most games quite decently with WineX (haven''t tried 3.1 yet) You DO NOT need a windows partition for it. You will get better performance without it because ext2/3 and ReiserFS are much faster. It can be a pain to get things to work but 3.0 has made it so you will most likely not have any problems- just insert cd, mount, wine Setup.exe (or click on it if you have a mime type).
-Yo, I couldn''t think of anything else for my sig.TobiasA+, Linux+
Some games have native linux implementations. NWN for instance.
You don't technically need a windows (FAT or NTFS) partition to use WineX, but many games won't install via wine(X) so the mode-of-opperanda is to install under Windows and then copy over to linux.

I use Anjuta for a linux IDE.

quote: Original post by TMAN
You can play most games quite decently with WineX

You have a skewed sense of decent.

[edited by - Magmai Kai Holmlor on September 8, 2003 6:48:43 PM]
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote: Original post by Magmai Kai Holmlor
many games won''t install via wine(X) so the mode-of-opperanda is to install under Windows and then copy over to linux.

I second that.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement