Advertisement

Printing problem

Started by September 05, 2003 10:59 AM
1 comment, last by stefu 21 years ago
Hello, could anyone help me setting printer to work.. I am new Gentoo user and I have printing problem.. I ask here because this is not Gentoo related problem I think and I got no answer HERE. So what might be the problem, when I try to print from open office I get error (if I start ooffice from copnsole I can get this) Same error from gimp and gedit to name a few. lp: unable to create temporary file. I can print in console using command lp test.ps. Where does it try to create temporary file? Just noticed printing works in root user. So where to give permissions to be ably to print? Or do I need to create printing group? where? how? /tmp directory has drwxrwxrwt so that shouldn''t be problem? Thanks very much. There''s no other problems, I had this already fully working with Debian earlier this year (until hd partition destroyed).
I''m guessing maybe your spool directory. Not sure what it is on Gentoo, but probably under /var/spool. If you use CUPS, probably a "cups" directory there, if you use "lpd", probably that directory. Most distros set up a user account and run lp/cups with that user account.

I believe lp user is a usually a member of a group, that they give x permissions to on the directory to enter the directory.

Printing isn''t my strongest point though. But it might give you some hints to look at.

Int.

Advertisement
I couldn''t correct that even though I gave all permissions to /var/spool/cups[/tmp].

But I found PDQ!
It is amazing! So simple, just installed pdq, then run xpdq and add new printer... and thats it!

# pdq -P "Lexmark E322" test.ps

Eureka, it works!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement