Advertisement

Building a Custom Switch

Started by September 04, 2003 10:46 PM
4 comments, last by OctDev 21 years ago
I am interested in putting together a couple of custom hardware switches for an embedded system project. Anyone have any experience putting together something like this? Requirements: --possibilities for 4, 8, or 12 port switches, stacked 4 per row. --Managed switching capabilites is NOT required, I simply need the guranteed bandwidth, 100 Mbit/s (+ Full Duplex would be nice though not required). --Abilitie to add 1 or more Gbit/s ports would be nice. --LED wiring to display things (connection, collisions, 100Mb) I do not want a solution that incorporates hard drives, motherboards, and flaming Linux vs BSD discussions; I basically want what Linksys offerf but the ability to purchase it at the component level and to build it into extremely specific spaces. Yes this is in the Unix forum because it will be 1.) incorporated in my heterogeneous Unix network and 2.) otherwise lost amongst the lounge drivel. If anyone knows any url''s or embedded forums that are likely to help out, that''s be nice as well! Thanks. The Tyr project is here.
The Tyr project is here.
I never heard of anyone building a custom switch but I''d be quite interested in how you pan out with it. I think the biggest factor would be trying to find the components to build the switch. That might take a good portion of time digging thru electronics retailers to find everything you need. Also don''t forget to check if custom built prices will exceed that of others manufacturers. You got linksys, netgear, 3com, cisoo, and nortel with the latter two being very expensive.
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Advertisement
Yeah I have never heard of someone assembling one from components either, but am hoping someone will have a bit of exp.

I did a lot of research last night, and very little panned out. I will most likely end up opening up either linksys or netgear switches and using them. I do not like this option because it means stacking components and then wasting a port to chain them together, and it is far less flexible. My design requirements may have changed a bit today though, in which case I could probably get away with using 8 or 12 port switches.

Anyone else have any exp?
The Tyr project is here.
It should be feasable to make something out of mirocontrollers, PIC or similar. I reckon you could do it, be a bit of work though.

There are some good electronics sites out there look for ones where people build hombrew machines of of Z80''s and 6502 and things.

Someone I know makes his own stuff for wireless networks, you probably need some complicated phase locked loop stuff and would be better off programing a FGPA to do the whole thing for you. I think there are better things to make for an embedded system project.
I completely agree that there are better things to make! That''s why I am trying to find the basic parts in a semi finished state. I really have very littel interest in making one from the ground up (I am more CS than EE ). My major concerns lie on the software/hardware being used by the products attached to these switches.

Good point about the homebrew machine sites, they may have some good jump off points to get started. I''ll check that out.

If you by any chance talk to that someone, please run this idea by him and see if he''s got any suggestions. Thanks!
The Tyr project is here.
It''s probably cheaper and faster to buy one that already works, and hack it.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement