Advertisement

Linux wont boot from disk but will from boot disk?

Started by September 03, 2003 03:03 AM
0 comments, last by Koobazaur 21 years ago
I''m new to linux and don''t know much so please no flames... I''ve had linux for a short time now and when I installed it the first 2 times everything was fine. Then I switched to a new computer and my linux GUI wouldn''t work and since I didn''t really know how to fix it I decided to re-install it and let the install program configure everything. Then when I set all the packets and all and finally pressed the install button I got this error: "Could not reread the partition list" ...twice... but the only thing I could do was to press "Ingore" and continue the installation. (I set it to delete all system partitions). Then when I restart and GRUB comes out, I select my linux and it boots and then stops and shows me some error (sorry I don''t remember it) and I have to reboot it the hard way since it stops responding and then I get an error just before the GRUB should load: GRUB Stage2 error. Read error. Or something, and it stands there... but when I put my boot-disk in, it''ll boot Linux just fine, everything works ok... Any idea what might''ve gone wrong? P.S. I''m using a 40 GB baracuda as a pocket (it''s not directly plugged it but in a case which you can put in and out of your computer)...
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
I think you''ll need to post your grub.conf (probably in /boot/grub/grub.conf) as well as your hard disk layout (give us the printout from ''fdisk -l'').

The fact your boot disk works, odds are its just a simple change to your grub.conf.

Int.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement