🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

TO KHAWK (mainly): Testing & Hosting facilities?

Started by
3 comments, last by d000hg 20 years, 10 months ago
I wondered with the way GDArena works, if a website could be set up where we can submit our downloads, then run them from the site. So I can run any two bots on the site against each other - even a table of results could be automatically updated. I''ve a feeling this is quite ambitious but I don''t have enough web-coding knowledge to be sure. Is it something that could be rapidly thrown together? On a different subject, I''m sorry to bug you Kevin but I''m unhappy with the documentation so far. Some basic stuff is in the readme.txt, other bits and pieces are strewn around this forum. For serious development we need arena data like timings, rate of fire, speeds, units etc to actually be #defined or similar so we can be happy we''re using the right values. Now I know you''re a busy man and this is a work in progress but I''d be more than happy to write documentation for you. I''ll take what is already in the doc and on this forum, ask you to fill in the gaps then write up a proper reference. I can even do a basic user guide (reusable OO base that can be introduced with 1-2 lines of code to make development easier) and keep it up to date as new releases appear. I can do good English when I decide to and would be glad to do something for GDNet even if it is in an unofficial capacity. Please consider this seriously, email me if you''re interested. Cheers.
Advertisement
In regards to the documentation, because I don''t have time to really post much on replies right now (but I will), I said at the very beginning that there would not be much documentation (look at the "GDArena - release" thread and threads previous to that one) because I haven''t had time to create it. As a result, people would have to experiment and I would explain things as they came about. I recognize that the documentation is lacking, but recognize that you either get full documentation with a disfunctional product, or you get a functional product with documentation that gets updated as time goes on. Because of time constraints, I can''t do the full documentation right now, but I can say that the documentation will become more complete as time goes on.

I would accept people helping out with documentation, as really anyone needs to do is search through these forums for questions that I have answered regarding how the arena works. It''s all here.. it''s just not in a redistributable and easy to find format.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Although confirmed internal workings and information of the Arena simulation is desired, personally I believe half the fun lies in trying to figure out how things actually work. Running the simulation, analysis of the resulting data, etc, in order to code your own invincible data are all part of the fun.

IMO only basic workings (like the how timing works) must be provided. The rest like object raidus, area dimensions, grenade throwing angle to distance tables, the left/right firing arc, etc, can be easily discovered, and adds a fun element. Adding keyboard functionalities, and a debugging window, I managed to have the arc of fire of the gun somewhat, and is at the moment tabulating the angle to distance of grenade, though the angle thrown seems to still have a slight randomness of perhaps 5 to 10 units difference.

Grenade explosion radius seems to be consistent(managed to have a rough estimate as well).

As mentioned, Kevin should provide only basic workings, and leave the rest to the user to find out.

VirtuallyOnline.ReadMyRecommendedBooks().ReadTheWeeklyGameDevChatStats().ReadTheEmptyForums()
I don''t agree. This is an AI programming contest; the more time we spend figuring out/hacking the .exe the less we have for AI coding.
IMHO only of course!

Kevin, would you like me to have a quick scout about and compile all the info into one .txt file with the readme.txt?
On the website idea.. that's a whole lot of work and the benefits certainly don't match up with the effort that would be required to implement it.

And sure, if you want, go ahead and compile all the information, but start a thread with that information. That way everyone can see it, and I can easily compile everything into documentation.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement