🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GD Arena - Launch Pad (v1.04 Released 8-28-2003)

Started by
19 comments, last by slepyii 20 years, 10 months ago
quote: Original post by Jason2Jason
Just a quick question. How does the launch pad detect the bot version number? Or better yet how do i assign a version number to my bot that can be read by your app?

-J

Bot version numbers will be coming in the next update. There will also be arena interface version numbers to make sure that a bot has been built with the correct arena interface.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by slepyii
P.S. Kevin, if you want the source send me an e-mail and I will send it your way .

I will at some point, but keep it to yourself for now. I don''t need anything else to maintain at the moment. Good job! I like it.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Just a quick question. How does the launch pad detect the bot version number? Or better yet how do i assign a version number to my bot that can be read by your app?

I pull this information from the version resource of the file. To add this you will need to add a resource script to the DLL, and then add a version resource and set your bots version.

quote: Original post by KHawk
Bot version numbers will be coming in the next update. There will also be arena interface version numbers to make sure that a bot has been built with the correct arena interface.

This would be a time to get users opinions if they want this app to display the bot version exported by the arena interface, or continue to get it from the version resource of the file.

Also I don''t know if its possible, but it would be good if you could detect when the match ends before the time is up so you can restart. Its no big deal, it just means I have to either wait for the timer i set in the launch pad to end or close it myself.

Other than that its really useful!

-J

This is currently not possible. Hopefully Kevin can implement return codes, or use a printf() call to stdout after the match has ended. Either way will allow me to detect when the match has ended and then close and restart. Once this is done I will eliminate the Match Time parameter as it will no longer be needed.
New update is online. This version just adds checking to make sure bots are compatible with v0.2 of the Arena API. Also made a small change to how the version information is displayed. Resource script version resources are queried first, and then from the Arena API exports of the DLL.

If anyone has problems running this, or it doesn''t work as expected please let me know. Also all feature requests will be considered, so let me know if you have ideas . . .

- Timothy S
thanks for this handy little tool slepyii. i have some requests if you don''t mind:

could you rebuild it using something other than the introductory version of VC++? i''d be happy to build it for you if you don''t have access to another VC++ setup.

could you have the window''s last position saved and restored via the cfg?

once Launch has been selected, could you keep the keyboard focus on that button instead of placing it back on the listview?

could you add a minimize style to the titlebar so that the window can be minimized?

could you add a sysmenu to the titlebar so that the window can be closed by double-clicking the sysmenu''s icon?

thanks again.
quote: Original post by flipper76108
thanks for this handy little tool slepyii.

Glad you like it, tis the reason I made it .

i have some requests if you don't mind:

could you rebuild it using something other than the introductory version of VC++? i'd be happy to build it for you if you don't have access to another VC++ setup.

This is most likely due to a bot DLL being built with the Introductory edition of MSVC. I load up the DLL's to make sure they are valid bots. I use MSVC 6.0 Pro.

could you have the window's last position saved and restored via the cfg?

once Launch has been selected, could you keep the keyboard focus on that button instead of placing it back on the listview?

could you add a minimize style to the titlebar so that the window can be minimized?

could you add a sysmenu to the titlebar so that the window can be closed by double-clicking the sysmenu's icon?

thanks again.

All of these issues and more will be addressed in the next release. Its going to be a couple days though as I'm changing hosting providers, designing a site for all things GameDev: Arena related I create, and am busy with work (Crunch times can be a pain) and family functions.

I am adding one new feature though that many may find useful, but you will just have to wait for the release to see what it is .

- Timothy S.

[edited by - slepyii on August 13, 2003 3:09:17 PM]
quote: Original post by slepyii
i have some requests if you don''t mind:

could you rebuild it using something other than the introductory version of VC++? i''d be happy to build it for you if you don''t have access to another VC++ setup.

This is most likely due to a bot DLL being built with the Introductory edition of MSVC. I load up the DLL''s to make sure they are valid bots. I use MSVC 6.0 Pro.

dummy me. sorry about that. it was my bot that was causing the problem too!

i''m looking forward to the next version. i had one more request but i''ll hold off until you get it released to see if it''s in there or not.
i'm looking forward to the next version. i had one more request but i'll hold off until you get it released to see if it's in there or not.

Update should be coming in the next couple of days. I have the biggest hurdle completed now, so now it's just a matter of getting the second biggest one completed, and then tying up a few loose ends.

Most of the new web site design is also done so it's just a matter of moving content to it and activating everything, and then getting the final version online.

Some of the new features without revealing the biggest one are:
   - Updated, simplified user interface (Advanced options moved to new advanced config dialog)
   - Ability to set Arena Path
   - Can now minimize window
   - Window has icon / system menu
   - Focus is kept on Launch button when restored
   - Arena window can now start maximized, normal, minimized, or hidden (not recommended, for testing purposes)
   - Window position is saved
   - Didn't loose ability to read old config files so all your old settings are still valid

That is the majority of what is new in the upcoming release, though there may be a few more things that I have missed. If your other idea is not on the list let me know and I will try to squeeze it into this update if I have time .

- Timothy S.

[edit] - Fixed an apostrophe, was turned into a ? somehow ;(

[edited by - slepyii on August 18, 2003 10:49:55 PM]
v1.03 is Online! After a long delay its finally available, and hopefully its worth the wait. Would have been online sooner if things would not have broken for 98 . Its all good now so here is the list of updates . . .

- Updated, simplified user interface (Advanced options now under an advanced options dialog)
     - Ability to set the Arena path (Launch Pad no longer has to be in the same folder as the main Arena application)
     - Can now minimize window
     - Window now has an icon / system menu
     - Focus is kept on Launch button when window is restored after launching arena
     - You can now start the arena Normal, Maximized, Minimized, or Hidden
     - Only displays bots with the correct interface version (Uses highest version found when searching for bot DLLs)
     - Window positions are saved between runs
     - Added debug output window and have included code for bots to communicate with it
     - Didn't loose ability to read old config files so all your old settings are still valid and converted to the new file format when you close Launch Pad

Phew, that was a long list. Now, the biggest addition is the debug log window! I am hoping that you all find it useful when debugging your bots as its extremely easy to use, and fast (~200 calls/sec on my system)! There is one minor issue with it though on 98 where it doesn't want to scroll, so if anyone has experience with getting Rich Edit 2.0 controls to scroll either using EM_SCROLLCARET or EM_LINESCROLL e-mail me so I can fix it! I am going to keep searching for a solution in the mean time.

The debug log window is used by adding two files to your project, and then calling InitializeDebugLog in AttachToGame or Init of the bot class. Once this is done then you just call the DLOG macro exactly like you were calling printf. After you are finished using the Debug Log then you call DestroyDebugLog, most likely in the ReleaseBotInterface function. There, now isn't that easy !

The last item for tonight is Launch Pad has a new home . You can now find it at gdarena.sleepyware.com.

As usual if there are any problems, or feature requests let me know.

- Timothy S.

[edited by - slepyii on August 22, 2003 12:19:30 AM]
Edit: Don't mind this post, I was requesting a feature that already exists...

[edited by - HappyDude on August 23, 2003 1:31:09 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement