🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Stability status

Started by
3 comments, last by Russell 20 years, 10 months ago
So how stable is GDArena as of now? If it''s still pretty unstable I''d feel better about my efforts. I never know if it''s my code that isn''t doing what I expect it to do, or if it''s a bug, like it can''t see the wall that it keeps getting stuck on. Maybe since Kevin is such a good, organized developer, he is maintaining a bug list and he could post that maybe once a day?
Advertisement
The stability right now is fine... any bugs or defects that are found are fixed amazingly quickly by Khawk, so the only real ''bug list'' necessary is the defects thread. Generally speaking, all bugs that are reported get fixed by the next release, so just look for any posts in the thread after the most current release date for any defects or bugs that people have found.

As for the wall thing though, that is a new defect as of the latest build (since you couldn''t see walls before this build ). For now, you''re probably better off ignoring wall objects until the next build.
I wish I could forget about the walls for now. I can''t seem to get my bot out from the corner. It doesn''t "see" the wall, so it just gets in a corner and keeps walking forward.
quote: Original post by Russell
I wish I could forget about the walls for now. I can''t seem to get my bot out from the corner. It doesn''t "see" the wall, so it just gets in a corner and keeps walking forward.

There is a bug where the bottom and right walls aren''t showing up. Well, they are, but the sign or something is broke so they only show up when you look at the top and left walls. If you notice in the seen objects list, the walls are listed twice at the same coordinates. Once is the wall you can see, the other is the opposite wall. Kevin said he had an idea what the problem was, so I expect it to be fixed in the next release.

£§
£§
I didn''t answer this before because I wanted to wait until 0.2 was released..

I feel that it is very stable at this point, and I do not expect that any major defects will be found (just minor) unless I start adding more functionality, which I doubt is going to happen until the rewrite. The only things left to "fix" would be the objDirection parameter when retrieving object information (not really necessary.. just adds more strategy), possibly changing how walls are interpreted, possibly rendering more debug information, and possibly tweaking gameplay parameters for more balanced and challenging gameplay. Otherwise, I feel this thing is good to go for a first beta contest run.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement