🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Debugging bots with VC6

Started by
13 comments, last by Jason2Jason 20 years, 11 months ago
Hey there. I''m new to DLL development. I have tried to run my DLL bot with VC6. It comes up with a window to specify the .exe to run it on. So I choose the GD arena, however it crashed with a normal access violation. Is this just becuase its imposible to debug the bot from running it in the development environment, or am I doing something wrong? Is the only way to debug to use logs or the taunt? Sorry about asking this, but this is my first DLL =/ Cheers, -J
Advertisement
You probably have to set the working directory for the application to be the bin folder of gdarena. Try looking in the debug part of the configuration settings, it should be listed near there. You can also set the output .dll to be placed in the bots folder.
Ah.. it was the working directory I didn''t fill in, cheers for that.

-J
Hmm, when I start the debug with ''go'', it starts the program and declares a draw.. Is it non-functional with debuging for everyone?

-J
It declares a draw for me, too.
Just press F5.. it''s an initialization thing.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Is it a bug that when i tell it to run to cursor after i''ve stepped through my code the first time, that a message comes up saying my bot took too long? This is in debug mode aswell.

-J
quote: Original post by Jason2Jason
Is it a bug that when i tell it to run to cursor after i''ve stepped through my code the first time, that a message comes up saying my bot took too long? This is in debug mode aswell.

-J

No, it''s not a bug. You have to set the gdarena.ini file to "debug" instead of "release".

Admin for GameDev.net.

i know, I said that it was stated in the ini as debug.

-J

[edited by - jason2jason on August 5, 2003 11:43:14 AM]
Then that''s a defect that will be fixed in the next update.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement