🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Update

Started by
26 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
As requested, here's an update..
  • We're going to go ahead with a non-prize contest. I just can't bring myself to give any prizes away until I know for sure that the contest will be fair.
  • I hope to have the interface released sometime early next week. I was trying to get it done this week, but I got an XBox.. I'll make sure it's released no later than the end of next week, however.
  • The idea of going with the non-prize contest is to basically work out the kinks. I can only test the arena executable so much, and it needs to be tested in a more realistic manner. So that's what we're going to do.. have a beta testing contest.
Questions/comments/etc?

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
Thanks a lot. Any chance of a preview? Ie the interface header or something? I'm still confused how we use this template thing so any kind of pre-launch info would be gratefully received.
Otherwise, looking forward to it.
(can you delete my "These forum seems unwell... time to do something?" thread please?)

[edited by - d000hg on July 25, 2003 9:33:25 AM]
Can the winner have a personal title until the actual contest? And can you use the same entry in the actual contest as in the trial?
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote: Original post by d000hg

(can you delete my "These forum seems unwell... time to do something?" thread please?)

Just delete the first post in the thread (edit it and check the "did you double post?" box) and it''l go away.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
You''d think it would but nope! Look at it & you''ll see.
quote: Original post by d000hg
Thanks a lot. Any chance of a preview? Ie the interface header or something? I''m still confused how we use this template thing so any kind of pre-launch info would be gratefully received.
Otherwise, looking forward to it.

[edited by - d000hg on July 25, 2003 9:33:25 AM]

When you run the bot generator, you are given a VC++ 6 project with the bot shell source code and header file. You are also given an interface header that you will use to talk to the arena. You talk to the arena through the core pointer, which is defined as

ICore *g_pCore;

It consists of a bunch of methods for moving your bot and having it perform various actions. Here''s a sample (I don''t have it in front of me):

• g_pCore->Register(char *name) - register''s your bot''s name
  • g_pCore->Strafe(int where) - strafe left or right
  • g_pCore->TurnLeft(int howFast) - turn left
  • g_pCore->TurnRight(int howFast) - turn right
  • g_pCore->SetSpeed(int howFast) - move forward at a defined speed
  • g_pCore->SelectWeapon(int weaponType) - select a weapon
  • g_pCore->Fire() - fire the selected weapon
  • g_pCore->GetMyHealth() - returns your current health
  • g_pCore->GetMyAmmo() - returns your current ammo count
  • g_pCore->GetNumObjectsInSight() - returns the number of objects in your bot''s current view
  • g_pCore->GetObjectInSight() - returns information about an object in your bot''s view
  • g_pCore->Taunt() - say something

Those are the core commands you can do. The ones I can''t remember aren''t as important.

The bot class has an Init() and an Update() method. These two methods are where you will do your work. Init() is called upon initialization of the arena and where you will need to setup your bot (allocate memory, construct data structures, whatever). Update() is where your AI processing is placed.

And that''s it. That''s all there is to it. The DLL construction is handled automatically for you, and actually if that DLL construction code is modified in any way, then your bot gets DQ''d. All you have to modify is Init() and Update().
  • Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Khawk
    As requested, here''s an update..

• We''re going to go ahead with a non-prize contest. I just can''t bring myself to give any prizes away until I know for sure that the contest will be fair.
    • I hope to have the interface released sometime early next week. I was trying to get it done this week, but I got an XBox.. I''ll make sure it''s released no later than the end of next week, however.
    • The idea of going with the non-prize contest is to basically work out the kinks. I can only test the arena executable so much, and it needs to be tested in a more realistic manner. So that''s what we''re going to do.. have a beta testing contest.

Questions/comments/etc?

Didn''t want to forget to say this. Great job Kevin. We''re all looking forward to it.

Enjoy your XBox HOpe you got HALO!!

---------------------------------------------------
    There are two things he who seeks wisdom must understand...
    Love... and Wudan!
    ---------------------------------------------------There are two things he who seeks wisdom must understand...Love... and Wudan!
    Thanks very much for that, most helpful. I''m looking forward to it though all my AI is limited to knowing what a neuaral network is, and a bit of state machine AI.
    is there a way to get your current position?
    Just a bit off topic, but,...
    How''d you get on probation?
    pixelwrench.com | [email="matt[nospam]@pixelwrench[nospam]com"]email[/email] lethalhamster: gamedev keeps taking my money, but im too lazy to not let them

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement