🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What to do if the Arena Executable doesn't load

Started by
16 comments, last by Xgkkp 20 years, 11 months ago
A lot of people running Windows Xp seem to be having a problem that Gdarena.exe doesn't load but just leaves a crash message. This is a known problem and until there is a code fix for this two ways have been found to solve the problem: 1. Run the Gdarena.exe in Windows 2000 Compatibility mode 2. Install the Latest Windows Xp Service Pack (Click here to go to Microsoft's page on this) It is belived that the problem is caused by This Knowledge Base problem and is to do with calls to OpenGl regarding sending long lines to a bitmap. This is the error signature windows gives you when you ask for details:

AppName: gdarena.exe
AppVer: 1.0.0.1
ModName: glu32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.0
Offset: 00006be5

[Edit:] Added Information about the Service Pack Fix, and from lower down this topic. Please correct me If I have made any errors in this post. [edited by - Xgkkp on July 21, 2003 7:28:06 PM]
Advertisement
Does anyone know why this might be happening (i.e. what is the compatibility issue)? I''ve read that XP Service Pack 1 fixes alot of the OpenGL issues, so maybe people not having that is a problem as well. I''ve tested on 3 different XP machines and haven''t had problems, and of course all of them had service pack 1.

The arena executable itself is built on Windows 2000, but I don''t see why that would be a factor. Tonight I''ll try downloading Microsoft''s compatibility application test thing and executing it on the arena executable to see if any particular errors popup.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Khawk
Does anyone know why this might be happening (i.e. what is the compatibility issue)? I've read that XP Service Pack 1 fixes alot of the OpenGL issues, so maybe people not having that is a problem as well. I've tested on 3 different XP machines and haven't had problems, and of course all of them had service pack 1.

The arena executable itself is built on Windows 2000, but I don't see why that would be a factor. Tonight I'll try downloading Microsoft's compatibility application test thing and executing it on the arena executable to see if any particular errors popup.

I'll download the service pack this afternoon to see if that helps.

[EDIT] I can only find Service Pack 1a (Express install) on Microsoft's web site. As far as I can tell, it's the same thing without Microsoft's Java VM. Is this right? I'm used to 'a' meaning 'Alpha'.

[edited by - Xgkkp on July 21, 2003 10:53:26 AM]
quote: Original post by Xgkkp
Does anyone know why this might be happening (i.e. what is the compatibility issue)? I''ve read that XP Service Pack 1 fixes alot of the OpenGL issues, so maybe people not having that is a problem as well. I''ve tested on 3 different XP machines and haven''t had problems, and of course all of them had service pack 1.

The arena executable itself is built on Windows 2000, but I don''t see why that would be a factor. Tonight I''ll try downloading Microsoft''s compatibility application test thing and executing it on the arena executable to see if any particular errors popup.

I''ll download the service pack this afternoon to see if that helps.

[EDIT] I can only find Service Pack 1a (Express install) on Microsoft''s web site. As far as I can tell, it''s the same thing without Microsoft''s Java VM. Is this right? I''m used to ''a'' meaning ''Alpha''.

[edited by - Xgkkp on July 21, 2003 10:53:26 AM]

AFAIK, it''s the same minus Java VM. 1a is also used to denote small updates or subsets of major versions (i.e. version 1).

Admin for GameDev.net.

Does anyone know why this might be happening (i.e. what is the compatibility issue)?
We'd know more if we could see teh source code, hehe.

Instead of trusting a random forumer, have you tried asking any of the other gamedev founders/admins to help you do a quick sanity check? Maybe an accidently flipped bit or a freakish typo or something?

Also, when I'm in XP Pro, 2k compatibility doesn't work but only 98/ME does... ^^;;

Love & Peace ^_^v
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu

[edited by - jeanlucpikachu on July 21, 2003 12:25:43 PM]
Love & Peace ^_^vCapt. Jean-Luc Pikachu
Possibly this?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312505

SYMPTOMS
When you are running an OpenGL-based program that is rendering an OpenGL scene that contains extremely long lines to a bitmap on your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive an access violation error message.

CAUSE
This problem can occur because the algorithm that is used to calculate the coordinates for the line is inaccurate for very long lines.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP.
What''s with all of you open source commies?!!
CodeDemon: "What''s with all of you open source commies?!!"

It''s not about communism, it''s about freedom. What''s with all of you closed source antidisestablishmentarianists?!!
quote: Original post by flipper76108
Possibly this?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312505

SYMPTOMS
When you are running an OpenGL-based program that is rendering an OpenGL scene that contains extremely long lines to a bitmap on your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive an access violation error message.

CAUSE
This problem can occur because the algorithm that is used to calculate the coordinates for the line is inaccurate for very long lines.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows XP.

I saw that. It''s what the Service Pack 1 is supposed to fix.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by jeanlucpikachu
Does anyone know why this might be happening (i.e. what is the compatibility issue)?
We''d know more if we could see teh source code, hehe.

Instead of trusting a random forumer, have you tried asking any of the other gamedev founders/admins to help you do a quick sanity check? Maybe an accidently flipped bit or a freakish typo or something?

Also, when I''m in XP Pro, 2k compatibility doesn''t work but only 98/ME does... ^^;;

Love & Peace ^_^v
Capt. Jean-Luc Pikachu

[edited by - jeanlucpikachu on July 21, 2003 12:25:43 PM]

I can tell you exactly what line it''s occurring on. It''s a gluBuild2DBitmap call when a texture is created.

But I won''t release source to it. Not anytime soon, if ever.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement