Advertisement

overwriting MBR

Started by July 17, 2003 12:06 PM
1 comment, last by browny 21 years, 2 months ago
How do i overwrite MBR in WinXP because WinXP doesn't seem to have "fdisk" so that i can use "fdisk /mbr" to uninstall linux... btw.. iam not planning to remove linux as yet.. just want to know how to do it beforehand. and another question: How do i access my pendrive (ASUS Ai Flash, 64 MB) in linux ? [edited by - browny on July 17, 2003 1:08:14 PM]
Z
quote: Original post by browny
How do i overwrite MBR in WinXP because WinXP doesn''t seem to have "fdisk" so that i can use "fdisk /mbr" to uninstall linux...

If you boot from the CDROM and use the recovery console (if it''s anything like Win2K, which I''m sure it is) you should be able to do it with a command like "fixmbr". I don''t know how to do it through the "real" GUI (and I don''t have a Windows machine around, so I can''t check).

quote: Original post by browny
How do i access my pendrive (ASUS Ai Flash, 64 MB) in linux?

It''s connected through USB? If your kernel is setup correctly (it should be, unless you did it by hand) it should be as simple as mounting the device (which is represented as a SCSI device by the kernel, last time I checked). Your distro may simplify this (or even automate it) through the GUI as well.

Advertisement
I can''t offer anything on the second question, but if you have lilo setup as your boot loader, lilo has an uninstall option, I think it''s maybe -U or -u... Check the man page to be sure. If you are using grub, well... You are out of luck. According to the grub documentation, you should never need to uninstall your boot loader.

-- Aaron

| HollowWorks.com |

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement