🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Question about taunts

Started by
4 comments, last by Blacksmith_Tony 20 years, 11 months ago
Well more like two questions really. Will the bots be able to know the other bots names ? So we can create some more "personal" taunts . Also will the other bot hear a taunt ? Not direction or anything but know that the other has said something (and what they said). Then the other bot can respond to taunts, or get angry . Anyway these aren''t really important issues but might make the battles a little more fun.
Advertisement
heheh that would be cool. Take some code for some conversation bot off the net (or something you yourself did) and make it have conversations!
Humm... since this is a AI contest, I''d rather like Kevin to spend time working on _REAL_ features that would be useful than on some stupid feature that won''t even add to the combat (I doubt Kevin will "watch" every round when he''ll have hundreds of bots to manage)

Features like this have creeped since the beginning of the "general" thread, and I''m getting tired of these... I simply think this should stay a serious AI contest, not an occasion for kids to call the other bots names...

My 2 cents.
Maybe so, maybe so. But I was thinking this could be used as an AI thing anyway. Something along the lines of a reaction to someone taunting you could cause your bot to go for a suicide attack. Plus of course you can then attempt to put some natural langauge processing into your bot.

Of course this all depends on the person programming it, personally I''d like to do a little more than simply try and win (which I doubt I will), and maybe get some sort of personality into my bot.

Although I don''t know how Kevin has implemented this, I can''t see how it would be too hard (but maybe I''m wrong). On the issue of Kevin watching them all, I was sure there was going to be a replay feature (at some point), so other people could watch them as well.

But I want my bot to choose the right slurs for RoboMohammed!

BtG
.basprintf ( "And for the %dth time, I'm not American!", ++lIdiots );My homepage
quote: Original post by Blacksmith_Tony
Well more like two questions really. Will the bots be able to know the other bots names ? So we can create some more "personal" taunts .

Also will the other bot hear a taunt ? Not direction or anything but know that the other has said something (and what they said). Then the other bot can respond to taunts, or get angry .

Anyway these aren''t really important issues but might make the battles a little more fun.

I did not plan for the bots to know anything about their enemies beyond what they can see. Maybe that would be something for the future? Especially since it is not really something that adds to the arena dynamics beyond the spectator..

Admin for GameDev.net.

Well, but who says GDArena couldn''t became a spectator sport as well? :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement