Advertisement

Cygwin

Started by June 24, 2003 11:36 PM
8 comments, last by Russell 21 years, 3 months ago
What is everyone''s opinion of cygwin? I''m installing it as we speak. Looks very cool. Lots of my favorite unix tools that I can use in windows without having to reboot. Lots of nice bigger things too, like ssh server, ftp server, and apache. Those are available without cygwin, but I was pleasantly suprised when I was browsing the packages that I could just click and have those things installed
I use it. It''s nice. One more reason not to install linux.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Advertisement
But you still can''t customize with Windows half as much as you can with Linux.

There''s no reason not to install Linux as I see it.

"Few creatures of the night have captured our imagination like vampires..." Godsmack
(c) 2003 DigiCode - My solo company in progress.
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
I wouldn''t run cygwin on a production server where performance and security was an issue. But for development, or having Unix tools on your Windows desktop, it''s great.

Int.
quote: Original post by Drevay
But you still can''t customize with Windows half as much as you can with Linux.

Some of us have better things to do than recompile our kernels on a daily basis.

I watch TV.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
LOL!

But anyway, yeah, cygwin is nice. Its main purpose is to give you unix tools on Windows, nothing more, nothing less. It does that wonderfully.
Advertisement
Heh,

You recompile your kernel everyday? Mmmmk.

Cygwin is a breath of fresh air to augment your productivity under Windows. I''d recommend installing OpenSSH service-wise as well, as it makes life easier for administration ( if you''re used to administering things from a *nix box ) in most cases.

.zfod
Cygwin is excellent. I like that it can come with more than just regular tools. Flex and Bison, for instance. Between tools and a sane and usable shell, I never use cmd.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
quote: Original post by RenderTarget
Between tools and a sane and usable shell, I never use cmd.

I actually use cmd, but with the cygwin toolchain in my regular Windows PATH. I don''t like the way the cygwin bash interacts with the Windows file system.

AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
quote: Original post by Arild Fines
I don''t like the way the cygwin bash interacts with the Windows file system.
What don''t you like about how it interacts?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement