Advertisement

dll counterpart in linux

Started by June 14, 2003 07:12 PM
4 comments, last by r 21 years, 3 months ago
i''m a lynix newbie so i want to know what''s the counterpart of dll s in lynix with all its variations e.g:BSD, debian, redhat, mandrake, getoo ...etc also i would appreciate any tutorials, books recomendations thanx
rad
(sorry i thought there''s another one for mac)also what about mac?
rad
Advertisement
so?
The Linux Documentation Project may help explain some things here as well.

-------
Andrew
PlaneShift - A MMORPG in development.

[edited by - acraig on June 14, 2003 8:27:48 PM]
Yup. Shared or dynamic libraries are .so files, and static libraries are .a files. Dynamic libraries often end with a version number, like "libext2fs.so.2.4"

I''m guessing Mac OS X uses the same system; variants of the "ld" dynamic linker are the only game I know of in town for UNIX-based systems.

I don''t think the historical Mac OS even supports dynamic libraries. It has "extensions", but those are much more like TSRs or daemons then DLLs, and it''s a waste of system memory to use them like you would dynamic libraries.
OS X breaks up shared libraries and loadable modules, where as ELF (Executeable and Linking Format) there is no distinction between loadable modules and shared libraries.

They have the extension .dylib. Loadable modules on OS X are called BUNDLES. They have the .so extension to help with consistency across platforms, though I think Apple recommends calling them .bundle.

I think there is a special param to gcc on OS X to build a shared library. I think it''s -dynamiclib. I think -bundle will do either.

I really don''t know all the details to be honest, so you might want to research it if you want to know more.

Interim

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement