Advertisement

mandrake problem

Started by May 26, 2003 12:06 PM
4 comments, last by saeZ 21 years, 3 months ago
Hello, This might not belong to gamedev.net forums at all, so feel free to moderate this, but I thought of asking a question anyway. I recently stumbled across a nasty problem: my "lovely" Mandrake 9.1 doesn''t let me sign in to the system anymore. When I type my username and wait for it to ask me for the password, it just hangs up there. It doesn''t even print the "Password:" text. I have no idea what''s going on. This hasn''t happened before. This problem occured today, after few weeks of succesful work. As far as I know, I haven''t changed anything in the system that would cause this type of situation. I''m not a newbie, but I have never had this type of problems before. Yes, I''ve tried single user booting, but I have no idea what to fix there. Please, any ideas how to fix this, in single user mode or what ever. Thank you. saeZ
yo i didnt type this special so: uhh listen up.. ok theres tons of problems: did u delete any files? (no secutiry?) DID U JOIN A WEB SITE? (hackers.com?) <--great site also you coulda got pinged: or mabe some one used telnet: mabe a (cough) graphical tool if so i laugh: i think some one got in: check for back doors:
Advertisement
Did you try switching to another virtual terminal? Or log in remotely (SSH?) Yet?

Interim
Indeed, I got hacked. Found some weird quotations from config files; "HAHAHAHAHA" etc. Weird... but ah well, first time for everything. Now for the big basic dilemma; which distro to install now. MDK9.1 has really let me down on many occasions.

Thanks for replying

saeZ
quote: Original post by saeZ
Indeed, I got hacked. Found some weird quotations from config files; "HAHAHAHAHA" etc. Weird... but ah well, first time for everything. Now for the big basic dilemma; which distro to install now. MDK9.1 has really let me down on many occasions.

Thanks for replying

saeZ

What was you security setting?
Were you using shorewall?

No distro will save you if you don''t secure it.
In this regard Mandrake can be very secure if you want it to be.
I use Mandrake and Gentoo myself the are about the same performance wise once i rebuild the mandrake src rpms for my athlon xp architecture.
So really you should try LFS once you set that all up you will have a better understanding of linux.
Oh and you could build yourself a transparent bridging firewall, which is pretty damn good as it has no ip address to attack.

A few links:
http://www.openlysecure.org/openbsd/how-to/invisible_firewall.html
http://small.dropbear.id.au/docs/adslfirewall.html

Thank you for the links AP, I will check them out. My security level in Mandrake was standard. I was running shorewall when I installed MDK, but I had to take it out because it screwed up internet connection sharing. I know it''s stupid to live without a firewall, but it was one of those "i''ll do it later" -things. Well, taught me a lesson. Just installed Redhat 9 and now building ip masquerading, firewalling, et all, manually. I hope to have a bit better luck this time...

saeZ

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement