Advertisement

Seeing Linux under Windows

Started by May 12, 2003 01:03 AM
7 comments, last by Silent Error 21 years, 4 months ago
Ummm... This is a new one by me. I just completed installing and configuring RedHat, rebooted back over to Windows to screw around for the night and discovered that my drive letters had been altered. Windows seems to be looking at my Linux partitions for some crazy reason. Any ideas as to why it''s doing this and how I might remedy it? It''s a bit irritating... I''m running Win98 and RedHat7 if that helps any.
If only debugging were as easy as killing cockroaches... *sigh*
Did you happen to use FAT for the linux filesystems? That''s the only reason I can think of. Can Win98 see the files on the partitions?

I can really imagine having windows do this might be irritating - good luck sorting it out.
Advertisement
Nope, they''re all Linux native. Windows wants me to format the friggin'' thing.
Ugh... Never heard of that happening. The partition types, are those set properly too? And the linux installation works?

That''s about all I can think of :-(
Everything is kosher as far as I can tell. I did everything by the book. I''ve installed Linux on quite a few systems and never had this happen before. I even installed it once on this system when it had a smaller hard drive and this didn''t happen.

Only differences between then and now is the new hard drive (I have to boot with a floppy because I installed it past the 1024th cylinder), I used Mandrake back then but RedHat this time, and Windows doesn''t seem to like it this time. Go figure...
Which version of windows? Try to configure the drives letters from the device manager.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
Already tried that, doesn't want to let me rename them for some reason. If I could just rename the offending "drive" to B, I'd be fine.

Windows is getting on my nerves now. Shame, we've been getting along well here lately too.

[edited by - Silent Error on May 12, 2003 3:48:08 AM]
AHHHHHH!!!! This just keeps pissing me off more and more! My frustration level is now at an all time high. Can''t find any info on this sort of thing anywhere. Oh, and Windows started doing something new.

It wants to run scandisk on the partition at bootup saying I improperly shutdown. That''s a load, but every time I reboot back to Windows, it wants to do that. I wouldn''t have a problem with just letting it run scandisk as a way of placating it, but it takes a minute just to get 1% knocked off. When I boot to Windows, I usually have work to do so I really don''t have time to wait while Windows dicks off. Not a big deal, but further irritation.

I examined the partition tables with the win98 fdisk util, it doesn''t seem to show anything significant. It''s still properly showing the real D: but labels the Linux partitions as Non-Dos for the swap and Ext-Dos for the / partition, could this be the source of my troubles? I''m going to switch back over to Linux here in a bit and try screwing with the partition table from there.

If I don''t get this resolved, I''ll just uninstall Linux and wait until I get the funds together to build a new system. For now, I still have a dedicated 486 so it''s not that big of a deal. I just wanted to toy with X a bit.

Thank you guys for reading and trying to help, I greatly appreciate it.
Sorry guys, I'm a friggin' retard. Apparently DiskDruid set my partition type as extended instead of Linux extended. I know I told diskdruid to make them all Linux native so I don't know why it did that.

When I checked it out last night with fdisk I saw that extended and was satisfied that nothing was wrong. Booted over for my daily Linux fix earlier and discovered the problem, fixed it, and everything's good now. That's what I get for being lazy and not just using fdisk in the first place!

Thank you guys for replying, it means a lot. I'm just too much an idiot for my own good sometimes.

[edited by - Silent Error on May 13, 2003 1:22:02 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement