Advertisement

Warez and such

Started by June 03, 2000 02:44 PM
25 comments, last by Icarus 24 years, 3 months ago
I''d have to agree on the Ibanez suggestion. You want to play really heavy stuff then Ibanez make good 7 string guitars, so they can be really downtuned

------------------------------
"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
The things themselves are not illegal, but it''s what you do with them. I think I heard something about MP3s being legal if they are not CD quality (44khz or whatever) and not illegal if you own the original CD. Just because some people abuse this doesn''t mean there''s anything wrong with them. It''s like for instance, a baseball bat...not illegal, but if you go and beat someone up with one then it''s illegal. personally i like to use MP3s to store my album collection on my computer so i don''t have to mess around with CDs, but that''s perfectly legal cos i own the originals.

------------------------------
"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
Advertisement
I have yet to rip my album collection onto my comp., but I still use mp3''s from mp3.com (all legal). I''ve found it''s rather fun to be able to play a game that requires the CD with whatever music you like sometimes. (Descent 3 DM, for instance).

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm
>> Well, people can flame me if they want, but I really don''t see any harm in old 8 bit NES emulators. Nintendo doesn''t make a profit off those anymore anyway. I realize that is still considered illegal, but who is it hurting? <<

It''s the principle. Do you want games that you''ve worked long and hard on to be considered freeware, just because they''re old?

>> UNLESS they added something to the ROMs that made them ONLY playable with the emulator they offer. <<

That wouldn''t work since anyone with a SNES/NES/other console can still just hook up their console to the computer and make a rom image of the game, without including the stuff that made it playable only on Nintendo''s emulator.

>> I can understand why something like gameboy emulators allowing you to play Pokemon for free, and why that is a bad thing. It just seems like people should have the chance to go back and enjoy all those old games they never got to play. <<

What''s the big difference between an old game and a new game anyway? People have worked hard on both, and I see no reason why it should be legal to get the old one for free, just because it''s old.

And why should people get to play games for free that developers have worked hard on "just because they never got to play them"?? Let''s say I never got to play Doom, is it right for me to just go and download a warez version of it, just because it''s old and I never got to play it??

Imagine this: You are Mark Twain and have just completed writing the book Huckleberry Finn. It took you 5 years to finish it (don''t know how much time it took the real Twain to write it, but let''s pretend it took you 5 years). You finished it in 1850 (not the correct year). The book sells really good and you make a lot of money.

You live a really long life, and you''re even alive today (you''re 150 years old btw ). Anyway, some punk decides to release your book for free on the internet (without even asking for your permission), just because it''s old. How would you feel? 5 years of your life was devoted to that book, and now someone just makes it free...

It''s the same thing with old NES games.

That was a long post
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Thanx for the guitar advice everybody. I''ll have to check out Ibanez. Ciao
Ok, I didn''t read this entire thread, but the Anonymous Poster was right: MP3s and emulation are NOT illegal, unless you do certain things with them. With MP3s, many can be obtained perfectly legally, depending on where you get them and if the artist/record company consent. As with ROMs, you have to own those to legally keep them for more than a 24 hour period.

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
Advertisement
Any copyrighted piece of music turned into an mpeg layer 3 file, no matter what the quality, is illegal for you to copy and distribute. Even if you delete it in 24 hours it is still illegal. What those illegal mp3 sites say is rubbish. Your Mark Twain comparison is faulty, because in this case he is dead, and so can''t possibly mind. If I made a game seven years ago and I sold it and made lots of money but in two years I never sold a copy, I wouldn''t mind much if it was distributed in public domain afterwards, becuase I wouldn''t make any more money out of it. The DOOM comparison is also inaccurate because DOOM is still being bought (but it only costs £9.99), but none of these old NES games are still being made, so you can''t get any of them legally if you want to play them.
Actually, I believe that after so many years copyrights expire (I''m not saying soon enough for NES roms in the pirating sense to be legal). It may be patents that I''m thinking of, I can''t remember.
just a thing...(i love say that)

of curse that emulation on general terms is illegal but they just don´t care about it!!!!! it is like fansubers(i typed right?) everyone knows that is illegal but everyone simple ignore it becouse:

1. they don´t will make any profit of it anyway
2. it also works like a publicity for they company( ei this game FFV rocks!! i think that i will buy the FFIX)

and when they feel like they are losting $$$$ they always act , remenber how easy was get a N64 rom two years ago? now try to find any rom, will be sure a dificult task

and just more a thing. after 100 years you lose thr rights of your product since it become a public domain(i think), and is becouse that that everyone can make a Romeo and Juliet movie today.
so that writer will have to find another way of win his food...

============
-why Brazil poor country and USA rich country???
-becouse USA made a statue with a club in the hands to hit who come to steal their money.
-and the Brazil???
-they made a statue with open arms...

"Everything works out in the end, if it doesn't then it is not the end"
>> Your Mark Twain comparison is faulty, because in this case he is dead, and so can't possibly mind. <<

But IF he was alive today, he probably wouldn't like it very much that if his books were considered free, just because they are old.

>> and just more a thing. after 100 years you lose thr rights of your product since it become a public domain(i think), and is becouse that that everyone can make a Romeo and Juliet movie today. so that writer will have to find another way of win his food... <<

That's true, but that writer probably don't eat very much, since he/she is probably dead

/. Muzzafarath
Mad House Software

Edited by - Muzzafarath on June 5, 2000 8:04:54 AM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement