Advertisement

geforce wierdness

Started by April 20, 2003 12:27 AM
4 comments, last by antistuff 21 years, 4 months ago
so i just went to the store and bought a geforce4 mx440 from io magic to replace the geforce2 mx i have. well, since the nividia drivers are all bundles together, i put the card in , and now glxgears is getting about 400 fps. some hardware accel must still work however, because quake3 is still playable at about 30fps. utk2 is at around 9fps. so then i download the latest drivers, install them, and it doesnt help. so then i take out the card and put in my old geforce2, and suddenly glxgears is back up to about 800. im running mandrake 9 btw. im thinking its the card, because when i upgraded from a vanta to the geforce2 i just pluged the new one in and it worked. i probobly should have spent the extra 15 and got the pny one.
AFAIK the GeForce 4 Mx series isn''t terribly good. It might be just that the card isn''t very good.
Advertisement
I haven't tested my card with quake 3 lately,
(gforce 4 mx 400 or something)
but it was playable

lets see...

my glxgears output

4996 frames in 5.0 seconds = 999.200 fps
3774 frames in 5.0 seconds = 754.800 fps
4013 frames in 5.0 seconds = 802.600 fps

(running a very much edited version of slackware 9)

[edited by - frankie on April 20, 2003 6:19:53 PM]
Let there be light,and there was code
quote: Original post by baldurk
AFAIK the GeForce 4 Mx series isn''t terribly good. It might be just that the card isn''t very good.

But worse than a geforce2??
Did you try it in the same res, and color depth?

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
Run glxinfo. Does it say NVIDIA Corporation anywhere in the output?
I doubt it. I don''t think you are using the NVIDIA drivers.
While the MX Series is one to avoid it should still give acceptable UT2k performance. Quake 3 isn''t a good test, it will run fast on anything. I had excellent performance with Q3A on a OLD PCI Voodoo 3!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement