Advertisement

Linux newbie rpm questions

Started by April 12, 2003 05:48 PM
12 comments, last by kordova 21 years, 5 months ago
I originally posted this in the lounge but here goes: Ok, I hope this should be my last question before I''m left to my own devices in linux. I have a number of programs I''ve downloaded that I want to install, and I think I''m halfway there. For example, I downloaded three .rpm''s necessary for a program to work (Ogle). I ran each rpm and it put respective .tar.gz''s in the usr/src/RPM/SOURCES directory. I extracted each of these and now have three folders with various files and directories in each I''m told in order to install each I need to go into console and type in su so as to go to root and then navigate directories and run the install shell command. Am I correct in assuming these to be the "install-sh" files? If so, when I run one in console ("./install-sh"), or through the folder views tools->Execute Shell Command, it tells me "./install-sh no input file specified" or in console "bash: no input file specified." What exactly am I doing wrong? Also, is there a default directory that each of these extracted rpm''s will install to? Thanks in advance. UPDATE: it was suggested that i run rpm --rebuild [sourcerpm] which I did on two, the last one saying it needed some files (of which at least two were the first tow rpms). Once i''ve rebuilt them and I''ve found two new rpm''s each in usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586/ what exactly do I do...? Thanks again. [edited by - ChildOfKordova on October 11, 2017 10:32:23 AM] weird
get the appname.version.rpm instead of the appname.version.src.rpm
Advertisement
To install the RPMs you built, simply type ''rpm -ivh rpmname'' at a shell.
I installed the non-source rpm's (the first two it said it needed at least for Ogle). Then when I ran kpackage for ogle and hit install it said

"... RESULT=$?
error: failed dependencies:
libXv.so.1 is needed by ogle-0.9.1-fr3
libasound.so.2(ALSA_0.9) is needed by ogle-0.9.1-fr3
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) is needed by ogle-0.9.1-fr3
RESULT=1"

I didn't see any of those at the site here.

Do I need to find those and install...? Thanks again.

[edited by - ChildOfKordova on October 11, 2017 10:32:23 AM]
weird

[edited by - kordova on April 12, 2003 7:11:57 PM]
You shouldn''t need to compile from the sorce like you did unless the RPMs from the site just wont work as is. Sometimes program binaries wont work on diffent disrtos or versions so compileing from the sorce can fix this problem. Every program is a bit diffent so advice from the makers is often the only real help you may get. In my experiance Ogle installs easily using the binary RPMs form the site. Make sure you are on the RPM page wich has the link at the lower part of the downloads page. Then get the RH RPMs not the SRPMs or Devel files. After that open up a file manager in Gnome or KDE and R click I think on the file to get the option to open using Package manager or like program. Let it do its thing. You must do this for all the RPMs. Ogle, the GUI libdvdccs ect. After that open a termenal window and type ogle and see if it opens up.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Yeah, I scrapped the source files and found the regular distribution ones, but as I said above when I ran the rpm manager app on ogle it said certain dependencies were missing as I took it...

weird
Advertisement
That is because some of what it is looking for are from the other RPMs. Once everything is install it should all be there. If not you can probably find the missing file at rpmfind.net or mandrake cooker. If the the GUI program won''t install the RPM because of this you may need force the install. That can be done at a command line or there should be an alternate installer that will do it anyway. I belive one default program in Gnome wouldnt do it but it worked in KDE. This is older 8.2 mind you but there is some way to force it to install. Possibly you can install in another order as to make the dependant files show up.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
So I should just search for those few names as they appeared...in the event that is what I have to do and I find them, where do they have to be placed? Thanks again and sorry as I''m rather clueless as to the workings and subtleties of this os.

weird
I belive it is in package manager that will list the unresolved dependancys. Like I said before if it says it is missing don''t freak out. Is probably just in one of the other RPMs you havent installed yet. In wich case you can ignore the missing files seeing as how they will be there when you try and run the program. I never had to get anything that wasn''t included on the Ogle site. If for some reason you do need a file your probably doing something wrong. As I said earlier www.rpmfind.net can find many missing files for you. Type in the file name say ok and you will get a list of choices. They should be RPMs that can be installed like the rest of the RPMs. After that there is not much else I can say ecept welcome to linux. Where the easy gets tough and the tough gets damn near imposible. When its is set up right linux is damn cool. Oh by the way in mandrake you probably have xine installed already. It should be under multimedia somewhere. It wont be able to run encripted DVDs(most) or use menus but it should already work. The extra features can be had but it will probably be more difficult than getting ogle to work. Try looking in to it though.
rpm: yet another reason Linux will never threaten Windows on the desktop.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement