Advertisement

Little annoying problem

Started by April 07, 2003 07:46 AM
11 comments, last by stefu 21 years, 5 months ago
I''v got little problem with my Debian linux. When I start it outs: FAT: bogus logical sector size 0 Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:42 Help!!!!!!!!! What to do? Is there way to acces linux partitions from Windows to backup everything possible? My Windows (on another HD) is working. Visit
There is no way to access a Linux partition under Windows, no support for the Linux FS.

#Old Steve, he said to Xerox "Boys, turn your heads and cough"
And when no-one was looking he ripped their interfaces off#
Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie on the truth behind MacOS 1

SketchSoft | SketchNews
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Advertisement
the easier approach is to reinstall linux on that partition without formating.

EDIT: have you already tried to boot from a disquete?

[edited by - xaxa on April 7, 2003 8:57:36 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
quote: Original post by xaxa
EDIT: have you already tried to boot from a disquete?
[edited by - xaxa on April 7, 2003 8:57:36 AM]

Not yet. I was looking for old boot disk but couldn''t find yet. But I know I have somewhere it.

Where I can find some raw data so that I could make proper boot disc? I''ll try to look for something.
It sounds like you didn''t install the boot sector on that partition.

Did you make a boot disk for your installation?

You can use the Win32 rawrite utility on the first Deb CD to create a new boot disk. You could also grab Linux on a floppy or something similar. It should give you network connectivity and file system so you can back it up.

Or just reinstall, but be sure to not format your origional partition.

Interim
quote: Original post by Interim
It sounds like you didn''t install the boot sector on that partition.

Did you make a boot disk for your installation?

This has been running long time already. Just switched computer on after weekend and it didin''t work.
Only think that I remember I did last week before shutting down was apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get clean, so updating everything. IIRC it ran lilo then, but don''t remember any problems or warning messages.

quote:
You can use the Win32 rawrite utility on the first Deb CD to create a new boot disk. You could also grab Linux on a floppy or something similar. It should give you network connectivity and file system so you can back it up.

Or just reinstall, but be sure to not format your origional partition.

Interim

Yep, I''ll try later creating boot disk. I already got rawrite, have to read some manuals and find proper images.
Advertisement
some distros (redhat and mandrake i think) have a linux emulator for windows that autoloads when you insert the CD in windows. You could maybe access the linux artition from that?

Also you could try Gentoo, a distro that boots from CD.
[size="1"]
1) You can read ext2 partitions under Windows.

2) Find, download, and burn Knoppix, a general purpose CD distro. Try mount your root partition, backing it up, etc etc.
your instalation cd should come with the Rootdisk/bootdisk directories and a copy of rawdata to make the floppies.

On slackware I use color.gz and bare.i for the instalation.

[edited by - xaxa on April 7, 2003 10:48:23 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
It is possibe to access linux partitions under windows using Explore2fs. http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm
Explore2fs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement