🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

how about

Started by
2 comments, last by bintangku 24 years, 1 month ago
hi...... just attracted with kate....so I wonder how will game programmer code some game in linux using opengl or directX (if somebody try to port it to linux)....nothing but i just want to see peoples opinion about linux in game programming sorry for my poor english
Advertisement
DirectX hasn''t been ported for Linux, and I believe that this is the reason why OpenGL is becoming even bigger "thing" all the time; Linux users give full support for OPENGL API. Basically OPENGL programming isn''t that much different on Linux, atleast thats what I believe. For an example, if you code something with Allegro, you can usually compile the same code in both, Dos and Linux version.
I''m going to move for a linux... sounds so much more fun

See, in my opinion newbie Linux user needs sportmind ---> I remember how I used to collect Ice Hockey cards when I was like 10 years, and then my friends at my "second home" (at other city) were laffing at me, because I didn''t collect Magic The Gathering cards that were so much cooler (well, because you become addict player so easily ... Finally I sold all my Ice Hockey cards, and started playing MTG, and I played that game for about 3-4 years! And AHHH! I have to say that "oooboy, those years were lots of fun "

Well, with this I mean that when I''m going to change for Linux, I will have this kind of "refreshing" feeling again

Hi,
I am actually coding a game under linux, that uses SDL & OpenGL APIs.
The code compiles as well with gcc under linux, or with VC++6 under windows, without ANY change.
Linux can be well used as a game-developpement platform, to make portable games.
We don''t have machines running with Linux at Rarebyte at the moment, but we are writing our 3d game Paradigm in C++ and we are using OpenGL for rendering, so that we can port it to Linux later without problems.

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st

CharlieGame DesignerRarebytehttp://www.rarebyte.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement