🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Abuse of copyright (C)

Started by
23 comments, last by acw83 24 years, 2 months ago
quote: Original post by Domini

I was under the assumption that R means registered trademark. (c) is used for copyrights, whether registered or not. You don''t have to register a copyright, but there is a mandatory deposit that you have to send to the Copyright office at the Library of Congress. I have the government copyright and trademark stuff infront of me right now.

Domini

Hey that''s making me "ooo" right now...well could you post a little info about it here?
Advertisement
What''s the wait/cost for a patent?
You have to wait about a year.
Unregistered copyrights and trademarks do have value. Basically you can put a TM on the names of all of your products. You copyright the artwork, the source code, and the music.

Concerning copyrights, if you publish, but don''t send in a copy of your work, your work is still protected, but you may have to pay a few fines. If you trademark TM something, and someone else tries to use it, you can fight it them the same as you would with the R, it will just be a little harder to prove your case. You also have to fight for your trademarks so they don''t become public domain. Xerox had to fight for their name, because people started calling copiers xerox machines. Xerox almost lost their name to the public.

Check the 2 websites for information on the process in the US. I am not sure about overseas stuff.

This is a general rule I follow, put a TM next to any logos and titles that you have. Register them latter when you can afford it. I beleive it cost more money to register a trademark that you haven''t started using yet. I can''t remember. The paper work is not on me.

Domini
Hehe, i like the little copyright majig, ©. I put it everywhere just because it looks like, "Uh-oh, better not mess with him.", hehe, even though it may have empty meaning.

© = Alt+0169
©©©©

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement