🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Abuse of copyright (C)

Started by
23 comments, last by acw83 24 years, 2 months ago
Oh well that''s kind of cool. I am going to start putting the symbol on all my school assignments. Is there a governmeny agency that tracks copyrights?
Advertisement
I was under the assumption that R means registered trademark. (c) is used for copyrights, whether registered or not. You don''t have to register a copyright, but there is a mandatory deposit that you have to send to the Copyright office at the Library of Congress. I have the government copyright and trademark stuff infront of me right now.

Domini
Forgot to mention, you only have to send in a mandatory copy of your work, if you publish in the US. In that case, you have 3 months to send it in.

Domini
i don´t know about that... maybe that works here in brazil too, and what about the litle TM ????

-Time is money, pay your debts with time!!!
TM stands for unregistered trademark. Trademarks are very expensive to register. This is the website for the Patent and Trademark office

www.uspto.gov

Library of Congress

http://lcweb.loc.gov/homepage/lchp.html

Domini

Edited by - Domini on May 14, 2000 9:31:27 AM
quote: Original post by Domini

I was under the assumption that R means registered trademark. (c) is used for copyrights, whether registered or not. You don''t have to register a copyright, but there is a mandatory deposit that you have to send to the Copyright office at the Library of Congress. I have the government copyright and trademark stuff infront of me right now.

Domini

Oops. You might be right about that Domini. That''ll teach me to post BS.

http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

© is copyright.

TM is trademark, anybody can do that, it isn''t registered.

(r) is registered trademark, registered with our lovely government for the price of over a one year wait, and 300+ dollars. YES! =)

-Jesse
So, let me get this straight.... I can slap on a TM on anything *I''ve* done, work, code, art or otherwise, as long as it''s unique, and mine... and can I do the same with (C), but it doesn''t really hold any value?

Nick - Head Designer, Llamasoft.net

--
Visit our website...

Llamasoft.net
Games, goodies and ingenuity
Nick - Head Designer, Llamasoft.net--Visit our website...Llamasoft.netGames, goodies and ingenuity
For how long is a copyright a copyright?
Was it something like 15 years?
It depends...
Some copyrights last until the copyright owner dies others for 70 years etc...
see I was right you have to register your copyright...
(It costs about £30 I think) and then it''s all official...
without it will still stand but it is harder to prove..

Check out my shadows page
and send me some feedback
Check out my shadows page and send me some feedback

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement