Advertisement

Linux

Started by January 21, 2003 12:27 PM
6 comments, last by NorskCoder 21 years, 7 months ago
Heya There! We have a LAN Party soon and we have had and two of us if planning to make our own Linux Distribution general for this LAN Party. Basically i know some ways i can do, is to go to LFS ( Linux From Scratch ) but i wondered if you guys hav any tutorials or something regarding "Making a Distribution" Don''t flame me.
RPG games rule the world
you could make you''re own distro with lfs...
there are doc/tutorials on it on the lfs site and google
I heard from people it takes a lot of time...
Never tried it myself, built my own kernel in the past and my
distro works fine... no interest =)

but .. uhm... why do you want to create your own distro for a lan party? o_O

best,
f

Let there be light,and there was code
Advertisement
I have studied Linux in the past two years now but haven''t done any kernel changes and stuff and wanted to do a distribution.
We have had to Lan Partys and both did great. So i tought maybe we could do something else for the party so we came up with a new Linux version that will make the best of the party.
RPG games rule the world
I really don''t understand the appeal in LFS. I mean, if you can download a distro (FOR FREE, mind you) that works, and you like it, then why make your own? I mean, I GUESS if you have that much time to waste...
quote: Original post by CmndrM
I mean, if you can download a distro (FOR FREE, mind you) that works, and you like it, then why make your own?

My main reason to try building a LFS system was curiosity, but I had too much trouble getting i18n to work correctly. Another reason is that you build everything from source yourself so you are able to optimize specifically for your system.
Problems with Windows? Reboot! - Problems with Linux? Be root!
CmndrM: By building everything from source we can add new applications, modify the system.
RPG games rule the world
Advertisement
Um, you don't have to do LFS to build from source. Many distros (e.g., Slackware) have the source for everything available, so you could simply install the base system, then compile everything yourself if you REALLY wanted to.

Also, there's this thing called Gentoo which builds everything from source, anyway.

So again, I fail to see the point, unless of course you have a ton of time on your hands.

EDIT:

Oh, and why can you only add new programs/modify the system with source code? Yes of course you can do this (you don't have to have built EVERYTHING from source, but you can get new stuff like this if you wish), but you can also download prebuilt packages.

[edited by - CmndrM on January 22, 2003 12:14:56 PM]
i would recomend slackware.i´m using it and if you turn off sendmail/apache there really is nothing running you don´t need.

but you will have working init scripts,compiler,perl,apache/sendmail,kde/gnome , X11,sound network... so you can easily make it the distribution you want !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement