Advertisement

Good general-purpose IDE?

Started by May 01, 2000 10:54 PM
6 comments, last by CGameProgrammer 24 years, 4 months ago
Anyone know of a good freeware IDE? I''m looking for a text editor that supports syntax coloring and user-defined syntax lists. Preferably freeware. The best thing I can find is MyLight, but it has a nasty bug that causes it to steadily eat up system RAM. After 20 minutes using MyLight, all the RAM''s been allocated and I have to reboot. ~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
i think the DevC++ from Bloodshed would work.
goto http://www.bloodshed.nu/devc.html and adownload it

- pouya
Advertisement
Free text editor with syntaxt coloring and user-defined syntax lists eh? Check out Editor 99. It has everything you want.

I''ve used it for a month now and I love it.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
emacs is probably the best editor around. It is really universal. I use it for C, C++, Java, SML, Caml, LaTeX, Html, sometimes to send my mail, ...

(waiting for a vi answer...)
emacs is probably the best editor around. It is really universal. I use it for C, C++, Java, SML, Caml, LaTeX, Html, sometimes to send my mail, ...

Advertisement
Developer Studio (VC++) is an awesome IDE. Yes, its not free but it starts I think at $100 which too much to shell out in my humble opinion. I''ve used many other IDEs and still found dev studio to blow the others away.

Sieggy
Hi all.

$100 is not quite accurate. Since the poster only wants the IDE and not the compiler/linker itself, the this book for dummies or something sells for $30 - $40 and includes a learner edition of VC++ 6. There you can get that compiler''s IDE.

You are not supposed to redistribute executables with this one, but I am sure. But I know the code to output the anoying "You can not redistribute executables created with this version ... " is *NOT* in the linker because I was able to make assembly programs with it and do not get this mesage.

By the way any good IDE supports assembler?

Topgoro
We emphasize "gotoless" programming in this company, so constructs like "goto hell" are strictly forbidden.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement