Advertisement

Making a boot disk

Started by December 03, 2002 07:56 PM
1 comment, last by BradDaBug 21 years, 9 months ago
I''m trying to make a boot disk so I can setup a Linux partion on this old computer of mine, but I cannot seem to make one. mkbootdisk doesn''t work (''command not found''). I found this thing called Resque Disk, and I actually was able to use it just the other day on another computer, but I''ve since erased that disk. Now I''m trying to put it back on the disk, but it doesn''t seem to work. Usually it will make the disk, but then when I try to boot with it it just says 1000 over and over again, going down the screen. Once it acted like it would work, but then I got an error message saying it couldn''t load the ram disk something or other. And ONE time when I was trying to make the disk it just sat there and wrote to the disk, not stopping. After several minutes I decided somethign was wrong, and I tried to kill the process that was writing to the disk (something called ''dd'') but it just wouldnt die. ''killall dd'' didn''t work. ''kill -9 124124'' (replacing that number with its real PID, of course) didn''t work either. It just wouldn''t die. I kept trying to get it to stop, but it wouldn''t. I tried shutting down Linux, but it wouldn''t work. Finally I just had to push the reset button. Anyways, what''s the deal? Why can''t I make a boot disk, even when I made a boot disk just a few days ago? I''ve tested the boot disk on several machines several times, and it always does the same thing on all the computers. BTW, what is wrong with GameDev! It''s super slow again!
I like the DARK layout!
quote: Original post by BradDaBug
Anyways, what''s the deal? Why can''t I make a boot disk, even when I made a boot disk just a few days ago?

Who knows? While your problem description is interesting and entertaining, it''s hardly diagnostic. Is the FD confirmed still operational? What commands did you use for creating the bootdisk? Have you tried re-acquiring the mkbootdisk tool, perhaps off the net?

quote: BTW, what is wrong with GameDev! It''s super slow again!

Why do people ask questions like this? Do you understand how the web works, or do you want an introduction to the concept of server load?
Advertisement
I''ve tried it with two different floopy disks, both of which were working fine just a few days ago. I guess something horrible could have happened to them withen the last few days, so i''ll check them whenever I have time (probably not withen the next week! AAHH! FINALS!).

I''m not sure exactly what commands were used. The package comes in a .tar.gz or something like that, and when you extract it you just type ./install.sh from that directory wherever you extracted it to and it does it all for you.

Here''s the famous Resque Disk ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/recovery/resque_disk-2.3.99-pre9-A.tgz

I couldn''t find a web page for it, but that''s it, in case anyone''s curious.
I like the DARK layout!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement