Advertisement

Half-Life on linux

Started by November 17, 2002 06:25 PM
5 comments, last by DarkHamster 21 years, 10 months ago
Ive been trying to get my copy of HL up and running for a while now. I looked online, and found a How To reference, and followed the instructions there. I dled wine, and eventually managed to install it and get it up and running. Now''s my problem: I have horrible framerates, and control problems, and it hangs a lot. Has anyone here gotten HL working? And if so what did you do?

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."
Have you set it to use OpenGL?

I''ve never tried to get Half-Life working, myself. I don''t know why, cause Counter-Strike is mainly the only game I play these days, and it supposedly works so good in Linux.
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Yeah I''m using opengl

You both have opengl accelerated drivers, and you chose to use opengl in half-life''s options?

Are you using wine, or winex?
wine -- I couldn''t get the CVS working for wineX...

Use winex. If you cough up that 15 bucks a month you can just download a pre compiled package save you a lot of trouble (since you said you couldnt get the cvs working).
Advertisement
quote: Original post by DarkHamster
wine -- I couldn't get the CVS working for wineX...

1. cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex login
    Hit enter.
  2. cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.winex.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/winex co wine
    Wait for a while.
  3. cd wine
  4. ./configure
    The configure script might tell you to install some software, like flex and bison. If you want to install it in its own path for easy removal, make sure to add --prefix=/opt/winex or something similar to that line.
  5. make depend
  6. make
  7. su
    Enter password.
  8. make install
  9. exit

Also, I suggest you create your own user for running WINE/WineX programs, for heightened security. I created one called wine and then setup its PATH to include /opt/winex/bin and its LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /opt/winex/lib. However, you can do that all for your own account too.

[edited by - Null and Void on November 19, 2002 7:53:40 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement