🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MS SDK for Windows (not DirectX)

Started by
1 comment, last by fuzzyai 24 years, 2 months ago
I recently got Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice by Foley and van Dam (a wonderful book, by the way), and to get more out of it i downloaded the SRGP and SPHIGS graphics packages.. but.. the examples won''t compile, because i need the "Microsoft Software Development Kit for Windows" (so says the requirements in the book and on the site, anyway) the compiler i''m using is Turbo C 2.01 (the .lib was compiled for Turbo C 2.0 or later). anyone know where i can get the SDK, or what exactly it even is? it seems that it''s the Win32 SDK, though i''m not sure because the book says it''ll work with Windows 3.1 and DOS 5.0 or later also.. does anyone own this book or used SRGP or SPHIGS and know how i can get this to work? thanks much
Advertisement
The Win32 SDK should work with the examples. If I remember correctly, quite a few functions from Win16 are still preserved in the Win32 API for backwards compatibility, so any program written for Win16 (Windows 3.x) should work in Win32, also.
The Win32 SDK is part of Microsoft''s Platform SDK, which also includes the DirectX SDK, along with others. You can install it over the internet by going to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/sdks/platform/
If you get Visual C++, it comes with a version of the MSDN Library and a version of the Platform SDK...although they are older versions (the DirectX part of the VC++ sdk is version 5), they still work well enough. Well, I hope I helped.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm
i''ve got VC++6.0.. i can program for windows no problem..
the problem is, the .lib files that come with the SRGP and SPHIGS graphics packages are compiled to run with Borland Turbo C v.2.0 or better.. i downloaded verion 2.01 (which is now free since borland stopped supporting it).. so i need a Windows SDK that''s compatible with Turbo C, which must exist because it''s a requirement for the graphics packages under Windows/DOS, though i''m sure it''ll be hard to find since Borland no longer supports Turbo C..

i''ve probably just got two options.. the packages came with their source code, so i could try to port it to VC++ or BCB.. or maybe just free up enough space on my hard drive for a small linux partition.. it may take some porting to get the UNIX version running on there, but probably less than trying to port to VC++...
i was just hoping i wouldn''t have to go through all that trouble... or maybe i''ll just use another graphics package..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement