Advertisement

How to start?

Started by April 21, 2000 03:21 PM
13 comments, last by josh_pape 24 years, 5 months ago
I''m trying to learn the Win32 API right now (at least, enough to write Pong and maybe Tetris and some other small games)...can anyone reccommend (sic?) a good book on the API (NOT MFC...that''s mostly what I see around)? Also...what would be the best book for learning DirectX and what books would be good for game programming, and general game design? Thanx.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm
HOLY COW! That''s a cool link even if you''re NOT new. thanks! how''d you get there if i don''t wanna have to go to this particular thread everytime i wanna go there.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Advertisement
quote: Original post by a2k

HOLY COW! That''s a cool link even if you''re NOT new. thanks! how''d you get there if i don''t wanna have to go to this particular thread everytime i wanna go there.

a2k

HeHe, Haven''t noticed that page before?

To get there, click on ''New? Start Here'' at the top of the GameDev main page (just besides ''Message Boards'').

Regards

nicba
Wow, I only wrote my post yesterday!
Cheers for all the replies, I think its C++ for me.

''There''s a crack in everything, thats how the light gets in.''
''There''s a crack in everything, thats how the light gets in.''
quote: Original post by Phantasm

I''m trying to learn the Win32 API right now (at least, enough to write Pong and maybe Tetris and some other small games)...can anyone reccommend (sic?) a good book on the API (NOT MFC...that''s mostly what I see around)? Also...what would be the best book for learning DirectX and what books would be good for game programming, and general game design? Thanx.

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend

Hey there!
In reply to your Q''s, may I suggest that instead of checking out DirectX you first check out OpenGL. This site has some wicked Tutorials on it by NeHe. Trust me, once you check this out I doubt you will even be interested in DirectX. Well for now at least...... The reason I suggest this, is that openGL must be at least 5 times easier than DirectX, and it still has the same functionality(for graphics anyway...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement