🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Strong Sequels?

Started by
13 comments, last by Kevinator 24 years, 2 months ago
Personally, I find most sequels to games are rather un-imaginative and weak. However, of the games I''ve played, (not many), the Final Fantasy and Dark Forces series are in the rare group of games with amazing and radically changed sequels. What are your opinions?
Advertisement
The Exile series (www.spidweb.com) was cool. And SimCity just keeps getting better and better, as do many Blizzard games.

- DarkMage139
- DarkMage139
Final Fantasy seems to be going down hill.
FF8 wasnt that great. And now square think they can mass produce rpg''s, by starting different development teams on the next 3 games in the series....sorry I''ll believe it when I see it.
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
The best sequel I''ve ever played is Civilization II (which is also the best game ever ).

Most sequels are really bad (Quake 2, TR 2 - 4, Carmageddon II), the developers doesn''t seem to have put that much work into the games... Sad.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
I have to agree- most sequals do in fact suck. However, the Final Fantasy series has a GREAT line of sequels... but can you really call them sequels? None of them have anything to do with each other, but I believe that the FF series is indeed a strong one. FF7 is my fav. FF game, but FF8 was terrible! Anyhow, as for a TRUE sequel- Syphon Filter 2 just came out, and it''s an awesome sequal! It''s (rare, yes) better than the original!

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
The Seiken Densetsu series still amazes the hell out of me.

Doops! (yes, oops with a D!) That was one of my alltime fav. series too!

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
the last seiken (the ps one)was a crap!!!

the best sequel of ever is Crono Cross, i own one and is the best RPG in PS and graps is so good that i don´t belive that is a PS game

- god hates money , look for the ones that he gives it

Edited by - MASARANDUBA on 4/8/00 8:22:33 PM
I just want to make the point that a lot of the problems with sequels are NOT due to crap developers. They''re almost always under pressure from publishers to get a ''quick & easy'' sequel out for the next holiday season after the original to maximise revenues.
>>> Most sequels are really bad (Quake 2, TR 2 - 4, Carmageddon II), the developers doesn''t seem to have put that much work into the games... Sad. <<<

And yet when you take the time to do a sequel right, as we''re doing with Duke Nukem Forever, you have another large group of air heads crying, "Why is the game taking so long -- it''s going to come out late and will suck, etc."

;-)

Scott

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement