🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Developer Deskstops and Themes?

Started by
10 comments, last by FragStorm 24 years, 3 months ago
I''ve been wondering... What type of desktop/themes do you people like to have on your pc? I personally like dark/tech (whatever that is) themes, as do most people I know, becuase they are most pleasing to the eye, rather than an ultra-bright headache causing desktop. I''m currently using the Alien Commemoration theme, which I found out that Andre LaMoth is using during his ''tricks of the windows game programming gurus'' book . It''s a great theme. I love the whole style. I was curious if any of you could lead me towards some good theme (url or theme-name), or just voice your opinion. btw( I love the dev desktop section on flipcode, GameDev should add a section like that ) We shall be free; th'' Almighty hath not build here for his ervy, will not drive us hence: Here we may reign secure and in my choyce To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav''n.
We shall be free; th'' Almighty hath not build here for his ervy, will not drive us hence: Here we may reign secure and in my choyce To reign is worth ambition though in Hell: Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav''n.
Advertisement
I personally like themes that are cozy, which have a nice feel to them. I don''t mind even if they''re too bright; one gets used to that after some time. I get really pissed off when I come across themes that are 5mb downloads and have nothing but one long CD quality intro sound recorded with a mic from a TV, and a lame 320x400 wallpaper.
/ // / |< <-
I wrote a program that sits on your taskbar, and changes the wallpaper every so often. You specify a directory from which to get the images, but having about 300 bitmap images is using up loads of HDD space

I think it's quite cool, but it can screw up DirectX apps that don't handle the WM_PALETTTECHANGED message. (for this reason, all mine do )

If you like, you can get this program from my Web Site, but you'll have to wait for me to finish it (the site)

My soundz are nicked from the game Driver (which don't work on my computer, due to lame Graphics card ), whenever I succesfully compile a program in VC++, it says "You Da Man!"

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

Edited by - GEo on 4/5/00 3:43:38 AM
George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
Well, I don''t use any particular theme... no time to set things up. But I am currently investing time in a nice skin for my Windows Media Player, hopefully something GameBoy based.

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!
Themes are slow, and anything that''s not really spiffy is a waste of CPU cycles IMHO.

But I do have a favourite wallpaper site, not a lot of them, but they''re definetly worth a peek: www.threeoh.com

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
As of Present, i have an Oni desktop theme, but i put it together my self, leaving the arrow the same, i changed the icons of my hard drives (im on a mac) and put up a 1280x1024 oni desktop background...that game is going to rock.

Here's the latest screen of my desktop. Its about 800k so i didnt just paste it right here on the forum

Edited by - firahs on 4/5/00 10:04:51 AM
Geo, i wrote something similar for mac, except for macs you can use .jpg''s so its pretty cool, i dont use it now because i like oni, but i wrote it in AppleScript.

Desktop Themes? *shutter*
That screenshot had style =)

I don''t personally use a theme though... not even a background... compies slow enough anyway (Actually that''s just an excuse for me being LAZY).

I''ve never heard of ONI... what is it?

J2xC

------------------------------
About time I put something funny here? I think so too...
J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...
You've never heard of oni?!?!
its a cool game coming out May 1st
oni.bungi.com

Lets see if my new siggy works
/
V

O
/~*
/
Edited by - firahs on 4/5/00 5:36:47 PM

Edited by - firahs on 4/5/00 5:37:38 PM

Edited by - firahs on 4/5/00 10:52:14 PM