🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A Job

Started by
14 comments, last by Fredric 24 years, 2 months ago
I''m only 15, but it has come to the point that my parents are fed up with buying me books (computer of course), games and other things for me... I keep telling them that the games are part of my education, but they just don''t go for that! Sheesh Anyhow, I need a job. A lot of you are older than me, and I was wondering if or how any of you got jobs at my age. I''ll take any job- almost. I mean, I''m not going to go work as a pimp or anything, but I''d love a part-time job. Does anyone have some advice from when they are at my age and got a job? Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Advertisement
its like that at home heh

well im 17 started working at 15, try to find some shop or whatever that need small accounting programs and do them for them.

then when u get a little more rep u can try some bigger things

that what i did and i can say i knwo earn about $30/h programming (and still in school)
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
I don''t know what the local laws over there are concerning work below 18... over here theres a good sized selection of summer jobs from about 15-18 as well though they generally want 16... Check your local burger joint and ask around if people need web sites done for them (at a fee of course) With summer not too far away you might as well look about for summer office job (involving stuff like entering data into excel...) not very interesting, but pay pretty well...
If its work outside the summer holidays you want the web page thing is the best idea... just make a good example site, and look around for people wanting sites to be done...

J2xC

------------------------------
About time I put something funny here? I think so too...
J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...
Hmm, some pretty good ideas, However, I can''t program THAT well yet! Hehe, I''m kind of a baby at making actual programs. I need to learn Windows Programming as well as OpenGL, so scratch that..

As for websites, don''t they have programs these days that allow people to simply place images on a page and then the program generates HTML code for them? If I were a company, I''d rather get someone to do that instead of getting some 15 year old to type up a whole slew of HTML code. I dunno, maybe they don''t know about those programs- then I can use them myself!
How would I go about going to little shops and asking to work for them (such as entering data in excel, or working in a restaurant). Should I sum up a resume, then hand them around or kind of put in an ad of some kind in the newspaper: "15 Year Old Teen will work for cash!". Hehe,... I''m clueless to all of this!

Thanks for the input, I''ll do my best! I NEED money!!!

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
I''m looking for a job myself. I have some friends that can get me a job at a Shlotsky''s (sic) Deli near my house...but I''d rather do programming. Only...I''m just learning Windows programming right now (which I''m doing by trying to hand-code my own Notepad clone). I''ve already got a small programming group...me and a friend of mine...and I''ve been thinking about advertising it at my school (someone needs a program...we try to write it). Does anyone think this is a good idea? Also...can anyone tell me an easier way to learn Win32 API (the only reference I can afford right now is the MSDN library that came w/ Visual C++ 6.0).

P h a n t a s m
"Through dreams I control mankind."
--Legend
Phantasm
Phantasm, for learning Win32, try a place on the web. A someone decent place I found once is theForger''s Windows API Programming Tutorial.

As far as getting an independent programming job, usually that type of stuff doesn''t come up from professional areas that are willing to hire kids (sorry for the generalization here, but there is a stereotype about needing a college degree these days) without some sort of reference. Try getting a teacher or such.

Most books for beginners for writing programs on a Win32 based machine seem to only include *cough*MFC*cough* for areas such as menu''s, but I''ve found that I can do almost anything in MFC that I''ve tried with little code itself in the program.

Fredric, as far as HTML generators that write the code up for you (and as always, this is my opinion), it is my feeling that they cannot do what you like them to do most of the time. I guess I just prefer to have more power over stuff I do than auto generators will give me (plus the fact that Frontpage and it''s like usually generate several lines saying that they generated it).
I haven''t used a web-page generator, but I don''t like them! Funny thing... I learned HTML- and then I see an HTML generator for the first time! I think that''s partly the reason I got into C++! hehe, I''m not really sure myself why I did.
I think programming programs for people would be cool- but for people who don''t understand what it''s actually like to build a program or game, they think that it''s a piece of fluf. I was talking to some idiot who was telling me it would be really to make a 3d flight simulator. I think it would be too but...
Me: " Yah, that''d be cool to make a flight simulator. It would take a long time though- because of the sheer amount of math and programming, though!"
Rick(dick): " Yah I know... I bet it would take you about two weeks to make that kind of a game!"

FOOL! Two weeks? Perhaps... with a team of 5000! My point is some people underestimate how complex programs and games can be, as long as how long they can take! I mean, what would you say to someone who said, "I want my own 3d engine with a video-conferencing program, as well vibrations coming off the keyboard when you''re hit by a missile!". It''s impossible without the right kind of hardware, but still. I''d love to that- make programs for people for money. But, it would be a bad idea because people are so ignorant as to the process of actually making programs. They''re almost as bad as me when I was 10- I liked games, but didn''t even question how to make a game! Get what I''m saying?

Programming::~Fredric(const Annoy_Ance)
quote: Original post by Nytegard

Fredric, as far as HTML generators that write the code up for you (and as always, this is my opinion), it is my feeling that they cannot do what you like them to do most of the time. I guess I just prefer to have more power over stuff I do than auto generators will give me (plus the fact that Frontpage and it's like usually generate several lines saying that they generated it).

Agreed.

You can't say you know HTML if you don't understand the HTML syntax. It's always a good start (if not neccesary) to learn HTML from the beginning, then use HTML generators if you want to.
I learned HTML from the basics, and now I've found that using Dreamweaver is saving me a lot of time + it's nicer to work with (the whole WYSIWYG idea). But using only HTML generators without editing with the real HTML code produces bad code and makes debugging really hard (especially if you use Frontpage which is full of bugs and bad code generators). You can't be a proffesional web designer either, if you don't know HTML.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown

Edited by - Spiff on 4/5/00 7:09:48 AM
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Well... I thought I''d point out by web page design I meant including stuff good java-script adn CGI... this is not advanced stuff but stuff your everyday guy knowing nbothing about programming couldn''t do...

J2xC

------------------------------
About time I put something funny here? I think so too...
J2xC (J. Connolly) Ah! By popular demand, I shall no longer resist...
When I was 13 I walked right in to a local pizza shop and said "I would like to work for you!" and since then there has not been a time when I was unemployed I''ve worked all over the place as a carpet installer in K-Mart and now I work for a software company in the city.... The moral of this story is that if you want to work look for the food jopints or for a friend of the family ask your parents to take out a newspaper route under their name and you go and deliver the newspaper. You can make good money if you Work your a@@ off. Stay Strong!

***"When I die, don't bury me, Just hook me up to my computer and I will live forever!"***
***"When I die, don't bury me, Just hook me up to my computer and I will live forever!"***

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement